Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the April '07 copy of Street Rodder yesterday - and they have actually featured another unsafe vehicle - a T-Bucket without front brakes. When will they learn that this is a dangerous situation, that the 'rat rodders' think that this is an accepted practice. This particular car is quite nice except for that - see p138. :rolleyes: :(

As a former T-Bucket owner that had 4 wheel brakes, but lost them, can assure you that that little bitty fiberglass body you are literally sitting on can be a hairy experience when the brakes disappear (1995 NSRA Syracuse SR Nationals). A front brake line was torn off on one the "beautiful avenues" of the city and I only had a juice jar master cylinder. This arrangement along with better brakes (to front Wilwoods) and dual MC was corrected before the next outing.

Dave

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
What Dave said!!!!!!

Here's my late '60s vintage bucket...but don't let those drums fool you. It had no front brakes - and it had no business being on the road in that condition. And I would never, under any circumstances, build one like this again (having survived a panic stop through sheer luck). Like Dave said, it can be a very hairy ride.

I've said this before but it needs repeating. Back in the 50's and 60's we didn't have access to a "web" or huge mail order catalogs like today. Thus, a LOT of the parts we needed to adapt one make/model to another make/model were not easily available and had to be hand fabricated or simply "delayed" until we had time to come up with the right stuff (which was my excuse). Today, it is a relatively simple matter to put decent brakes on the front and rear of a rod.

Mine wasn't a good excuse even back in the 60's...and it certainly is no better excuse today.

Dewey

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
They didn't even mention the lack of brakes in the text of the article?! Often rags will feature these cars but in the text mention that no front brakes is certainly not acceptable.
I would rather they just didn't feature these cars without brakes, with too low ground clearance, with too short windshields, and any other safety related faults.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
In 1966 when we drove my '40 to San Francisco we lost the brakes on it twice. The first was due to a leaky wheel cylinder when we got to the top of a mountain. Luckily as I got to the top I needed to visit the side of the road and stopped on a level spot.. No brakes. Grabbed the emergency brake and was able to stop.

The second was when we came over a hill on a two lane highway and started to pass a semi except that over the hill in front of us came another semi. My buddy, whose name just happened to be Rod (Roderick),was driving and hit the brakes to pull back behind the semi he was passing. No brakes! A brake line clip had fallen off and the line had been rubbing on the frame creating a hole. Lucky one semi went to the right shoulder and the other to the left shoulder and we went in between. We eventually were able to stop by using the emergency brake.

We laughed about it at the time as it sure was another adventure to tell our buddies when we got back. Never did tell our parents about it though. When my kids were growing up I didn't tell them that part when I told them about all of our adventures on our road trips.

As has been said on this board many times before "FOUR WHEEL BRAKES"!!

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pasadenahotrod said:
They didn't even mention the lack of brakes in the text of the article?!
Not a word - and it also says he takes his 6 year old to school in it. DUMB! :(

Dave

·
Lost in the 60's
15,259 Posts
The sad part is that all of this rat rod stuff is catching the attention of non-rodders....you know the do gooders that are going to make the world perfect....well after they bombard the proper authorities with letters saying that Hotrods ( not rat rods) are unsafe ......welll you can see where it could head....legislation making the driving of hot rods on public roads and highways illegal. Years ago the bikers and the hotrodders were thought of as undesirables....both outlived that reputation and have a good one today but if the rat rod thing keeps going like it is...I am afraid as a result we ( hotrodders) will be behind the 8 ball again.

·
Home School Valedictorian
1,639 Posts
Henry Highrise said:
The sad part is that all of this rat rod stuff is catching the attention of non-rodders....you know the do gooders that are going to make the world perfect....well after they bombard the proper authorities with letters saying that Hotrods ( not rat rods) are unsafe ......welll you can see where it could head....legislation making the driving of hot rods on public roads and highways illegal. Years ago the bikers and the hotrodders were thought of as undesirables....both outlived that reputation and have a good one today but if the rat rod thing keeps going like it is...I am afraid as a result we ( hotrodders) will be behind the 8 ball again.
That was my point, repeatedly in this http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/how-much-beat-up-little-ratrod-like-105535.html thread.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I have stopped bothering with Street Rodder mag a long time ago. I did not like the direction they were heading, started to see more adveritising than anything else, got tired of all the 350/350 cars etc. They always follow "what's hot" at the moment, which I dont really care about.
American Rodder, Rodders Digest and also Rod 'n Kustom are the only three mags I feel worth reading. A while back I got so frustrated with the mags, I posted a long rant here (cant remember the title).
If you are passionate about nostalgia rods/traditional style, check out The Rodders Journal. It's expensive, mail order only...but oh my, you'll be AMAZED. Every mag is almost like a book, full of colour pages and BIG photos.

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
rat or hot

I like hot rods I want a 28 -34 p/u ,
I plan on painting it gloss black w/purple flames I do not want a sparkling interior (would rather spend money on brakes)I am about to be a new father and don't have a lot of money in the first place so i will have to either get my stuff from a junk yard or fabricate it my self.isn't that the very definition of a rat rod ? In motorcycles a "rat" bike is defined as a bike that looks like it was put together on a low budget by a pack rat in a junk yard i.e.:honda tires boat light foam pad for a seat.If I cant put together a chip foose custom or a boyd creation does this make me a "rat rodder",
or does it just make me a hard working stiff who loves the wind in my hair ,the roar of a small block Chevy and the looks i get from kids and chicks?
I don't know what to call it ...I just know i don't want to lose any more of my rights to the pursuit of happiness!
I already have to wear a seat belt (car),helmet(bike_pedal),helmet(motorcycle) my kid will have to be in car seat until he is 118Lbs ,I cant smoke with him in the car or it's child abuse.When i lived in Georgia I couldn't buy beer on sunday and now people are wanting to ******* up the customizing of cars. .......Here is a thought if we had all the bleeding heart do goods back in the early 20's where would motor sports be today? I'm not one to rant often but that really irritates me when I see people from two sides of the same group saying this one or that one is wrong .if hot rodding is turning the attention of the general public then it is the responsibility of the older hot rodders to help the younger generation do it safer,or this too will fold in on itself and i'll have to start clubbing baby seals for entertainment ! ( save a seal go to shows and promote safe rodding )

note: I won't start clubbing baby seals but you get the point! :cool:

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Nightfire said:
I have stopped bothering with Street Rodder mag a long time ago...... started to see more adveritising than anything else,

Mike

Young & Idealistic

Whom do you think pays the bills? :rolleyes:
It costs about $3 per copy to print that thing.

What is the subscription price??????????

If there were no advertisers, people wouldn't buy products,
and there would be no magazines. :rolleyes:

It is the "Circle of Life".

That is the way a capitalist economy works. Grasp it, soon.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Believe me I have grasped the capitalist system, however I am not willing to ride it. Capitalism by nature is exploitive, favors the rich and shovels to the consumeristic life style that most north americans seem to have drifted in.
I'd rather pay my big bucks for one issue of Rodders Journal where I am supporting the guys who TRULY care about hot rodding and aren't sell outs. I'll gladly shell up half the price of Street Rodder to a little magazine called Hop Up. I dont care about all the adds for billet this and that etc. in Street Rodder. I know I never will be able to afford it, and so wont most of the average Joes.
Everybody is complaining that the industry is being overtaken by the east, people arent buying american cars anymore etc. Well, its capitalism at work baby...grasp it soon.
I will keep on supporting the guys that understand people like me, who actually know what it's like working on a tight budget and who can keep on running a low-add mag because they have enough subscriptions, due to their excellent content.

Mike

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The reason that the low-ad-content magazines survive is in fact their paid subscription numbers, but they are not NO-AD, are they? Have you seen an ad rate schedule for these books? Might be scary!

Ad revenue makes for a larger magazine with more content. If you take the itme, which no one ever does, you will usually find that editorial content is increased with the increase in ad pages. You may be having more of a problem with the "content" of the content rather than the number of ad pages. This content changes with editorial decisions based on "best guess" at where the market is going OR where they want to take it to increase revenues!! If you don't like it, write them and say so!

You've already spoken with your wallet and don't buy their product so you are through with them.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I take a shot at a publication such as Street Rodder, I think that I may be speaking my mind for a lot of folks. To put a perspective on a couple of things, I have more years of this mag then, i.e. Nightfire has been around. These mags have to survive by advertising primarily and subscriptions secondarily. The costs of putting that magazine together, I'm sure is more than what it cost to buy. This is a capitalistic society that we live in and Primemedia wants to make a profit for their owners (stockholders) and, quite frankly, stay in business. There are business decisions that are made as to the content, the advertising and editorials - and unfortunately they are not always popular. A while back, they made a bunch of noise about 'early' street rods without front brakes and the fact that it was irresponsible. My reason for starting this thread is to remind folks that this is NOT the way to build a fairly high horsepower car safely. I hope that someone has taken the ball and contacted them as I have about the dumb idea someone had to feature this car.

Street Rodder has been owned by several groups since Tom McMullen flew his airplane into a mountain - and they haven't always taken what I feel is the correct path. There are features that I feel are totally ill conceived - I don't read them. Their advertising is expanding. That's fine - it's a way that I learn about more products and suppliers. But I will take a shot at them when they are wrong.

I think Street Rodder's Digest is a fine magazine and I have spent a lot of time talking to Jim Clark, one of its founders (he also was one of the founding fathers of Street Rodder). I will buy an occasional copy, but really don't have the time to completely read it so don't subscribe.

Other mags, i.e. Rod and Custom, when it came back, I paid up a 3 year subscription. Then they went the flaky way of Hot Rod. American Rodder, Northern Street Rodder, etc, occasionally have interesting articles and I'll buy a copy - but they usually have little other meat.

I feel that know where I am in the rodding world and the trendy stuff, well that's for someone else. And I do like aluminum and stainless goodies. Others will go their own ways - which really makes this a fun hobby/pasttime/career. :D :D :D

Dave

·
Registered
187 Posts
I enjoy Street Rodder. All mags are like car shows to me. I take what I can use and dump the rest. The ads don't bother me, I just turn the page when it's something I don't have an interest in. Same with the tech articles and car features. I subscribe because the cost is equal to 2 issues and I know I would probably buy more that 2 issues a year. Do they show too many trailer queens? Yes. Do the tech articles come off as ads for a particular company? Yes. But sometimes there is good stuff I can use and for that I am grateful. I have learned that in this hobby, information is key. Whether it is tainted by ads or not.

Think of the mags as a supplement to hanging and getting advise from your buddies and this site. Take what you need and dump the rest. Freedom of choice, man.

·
HEAD GREASEWHORE
56 Posts
I am totally lost .....What is behind not having front brakes .. is there a reason for it ? or just stupidity .

Pup

1 - 16 of 16 Posts