Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my dad are debating on whether or not to strip all of the paint off of our '72 Chevy P/U or leave the paint that isn't rusted. I strip it to bear metal and he says leave the paint that isn't rusted and sand it smooth. What say you gents?

·
Robbins Racing
51 Posts
Depends on the amount of rust. If you just have some spots along the bottom, I say sand it. If spots are coming up in various places, I say have it blasted. That way you can see the whole body and don't have to second guess on what lies beneath. You also save a lot of time and hard work. Where I live, we have local companies that even come to you and soda blast the car hassle free and fair priced.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just did a complete on a 73 chev and the paint for the most part was in terrific condition. I saved quite a bit of time not stripping the entire truck and it came out fantastic. The paint needs be in good shape to pull this off though.

·
Cox Custom Cars
498 Posts
If you are going to paint your truck, then do it right. Don't take short cuts, or you will regret it later. I have seen a lot of rust come through the paint on a new paint jobs just because the owner/builder didn't take the time to do it right.

At my company, Cox Custom Cars, we sand blast every vehicle that we build. And you would be surprised what we find under what appears to be excellent paint. We find metal that is paper thin from rust coming from the inside. We find large holes filled with bondo and chicken wire. Most of the time we find rust holes that have been covered over with bondo.

We don't do a $5,000+ paint job without sand blasting.

Frank Cox

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.