Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for another thread on this , but old threads and the knowledge base only raised more questions.I've recently bought a 1957 Buick that needs to be repainted.Part of it has been painted in the last 20 yrs but most is origional. It is all dried out and flaking on the origional, and lifting in little chunks on the newer paint.I plan on stripping it to bare metal and then covering it back up with epoxy primer.I'm concerned with the door jam and other hard to get at areas. If I just scuff these good will a PPG epoxy stick to this paint or will it create problems?Is thisold paint going to react to the primer and make a mess?Will the primer bond to the old paint OK? I want to change the cars colors , so want to cover these areas as well.This car has had the interior redone and am trying to repaint it without desturbing anymore than I have to. Also if epoxy needs to be covered in 7 to 10 days to avoid sanding issues, what is the best way to cover it till you are ready for your final colors?

·
Registered
36 Posts
If your old paint isn't peeling in the jambs a good clean and scuff should do the trick as far as primering goes. I would try to get as much off as possible though...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts