Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5.0 L that came out of a 1986 Mercury Marque. What I want to do is put in a 337 stroker kit. The question I have is can I put a crab on this engine instead on fuel injection? Are there any problems doing this? Will I need new heads?

Thanks,

Coolmerc#47

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
I dont see why not. You'll probably have to get a new intake manifold, eliminate the wiring, rerig the EGR or elminate it and what not but it shouldn't be too difficult. You should not need new heads.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you do a stroker kit, that will cover new (better pistons), so that's taken out of the way. The EFI-to-carb swap isn't hard at all........it's very straight-forward. You'll have everything stripped down to the block anyhow. As for the heads, you're definitely wanting to change those. They're likely E6 castings, which are pretty much useless........they have clearance issues. If you're on a VERY strict budget, I'd recommend grabbing a set of E7s........dime a dozen, and can be found on any 87-95 Mustang, as well as F-series trucks with a 302, 87-88 and 91-93 MN12 cars (Cougar, T-bird), as well as the 87-92 Mark VII cars. They're everywhere, and they're cheap. If you can stand to spend a bit more, look for some used GT40 castings (93-95 Cobras had them, as well as 93-95 Lightnings........the Lightning heads will work with head bolt sleeves. You can also look into GT40P heads, as found on mid-96 to 2000 Explorers and Mountaineers. Those require special headers though. Hope the info helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts