Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a Chevy 383 stroker that's newly built. and it wont get up to temp it will come up to mayby 160 if i idle but once i go down the road it drops to almost 120 it don't have the clutch fan i think i have a 190 thermostat what can i do to bring up the temp

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had an issue w/ a temperature gauge once & it was doing the same thing. Feel the top & bottom radiatior hoses while its running & if they are hot to the touch then the gauge is your problem. If they are cool then you have a different issue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Check your engine temp with an automotive multimiter designed to check temperatures. Check your thermostat to see if its functioning correctly. You may have to go with a higher temp thermostat. My brother did an engine swap into a mazda pickup that came out of an areostar van. I dont remember what temp his thermostat is but he has electric fans set up on it and they dont come on unless he has been sitting still long enough but going down the road the cooling is sufficient and they stay off. His fans are set a few degrees higher than the thermostat. He hasnt had a bit of problem at all from his cooling system

·
Registered
77 Posts
Check the coolant level cold. Try removing radiator cap while engine is cold and see if water is circulating immediately after start up. That means the thermostat is missing or stuck in the open position, which may not let the car warm up properly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im going to change the thrmo and the gauge i had a bad oil pressure Gauge after the first ride a mile down the road it went to 0 i almost had a heart attack. never will trust the electric gauges again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.