Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 388 stroker with a bb radiator in my new (to me) 1973 Nova. The motor runs at a very consistent 170 degrees. I guess that means I have a 160 degree theremostat.
My question is this. Is 170 degrees hot enough to get the maximum performance out of my engine?

·
floppers forever
788 Posts
are you running an electric fan?if so you can either put a temp switch in that will turn the fan on at a set temp.but if not i would put a little higher therostate in,you will never want to spray a motor tell it gets to at least 170 or you will have a backfire :nono: :pain:

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,617 Posts
I much prefer 195 stats for max oil life and happy engines. 170 may have issues with carbon gunking things up over time, and your oil might not get up to temp as fast so its not cooking all the nasty stuff out.

A cooler engine (up to a point) tends to make more power
A hotter engine (up to a point) tends to be mechanically better for internal parts and the oil itself

·
sitis nam accelero
150 Posts
So I guess sitting at around 230-250 at just a 50-60mph cruise is a little high? Ever since I replaced the intake manifold gaskets on my 383 it's been running hot. Used to run at 190 cruise, and jump up to about 220 when I nail it. Now it runs cooler at Idle around 190, which I've always been told that it would most likely overheat by idling at a stop. I think I might have the timing off a bit. Tstat and pump are only about a year old. I haven't really driven the damn thing more than 1000 miles in the past year because it's been non-op.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts