Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
"But how do it know?"
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Had a general car question.

The front windshield on my car gets a lot of condensation that often proves quite stubborn. I have to constantly spray windshield wiper fluid and run the wipers in conjunction with the defroster for several minutes before it finally goes away.

Is there any treatment that would reduce this?

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

·
"But how do it know?"
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rain x . They make it for the outside , and for condensate on the inside. (2 different products)
Rain-X® Anti-Fog - Rain-X
Rain X was what I was originally going to pick up, but read not-so-great reviews on Amazon. Have you tried it?

I get thata lot here......I figure its just the cold weather
Its definitely because of the colder weather. Its just a bit dangerous trying to fight condensation on both sides of the windshield. I try my best to let the car warm up for a while, bu the condensation on the outside is the worst. Almost seems oily. Interestingly, it is not so bad if I use a squeegee first to wipe it all away.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
8,149 Posts
I have used it. In florida , when I would buy a non AC car.
It works OK. If you smoke, the windshield gets dirty from the smoke quicker if you have the rain x on it as opposed to one that does not have it on.

·
"But how do it know?"
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have used it. In florida , when I would buy a non AC car.
It works OK. If you smoke, the windshield gets dirty from the smoke quicker if you have the rain x on it as opposed to one that does not have it on.
Thank you Sir! I will give it a try then. :thumbup:

·
Semper Gumby
373 Posts
Rain-X works! Really well - but if you DO need to use wipers, it will smear.
However - if you really want to see how well it works, try driving at highway speed at night in the rain - you won't even know it is raining!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Some "old timers" tales said to rub the dry windshield with an onion then buff,slice a little off at a time so you have a juicy surface ;)

·
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW
2,857 Posts
A little glycerin added to the water for cleaning windows or mirrors will prevent them from fogging or steaming up or Winter cold from fogging glass! And its great for keeping mirrors from fogging when you shower! !ts non-toxic, colorless and odorless. You can buy it at pharmacies or drugstores. Its great for eye glasses too.

just add some glycerin added to the water and clean the glass :thumbup: I like raine x But use it and still get some fogging!

Jester

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
If you do go the rain-x route make sure the glass is absolutely clean to start with or you will have a big mess. I have used it in the past when i drove for a living and it works real good. It does tent to make the wipers chatter a little. I used it because i hated running the wipers

·
one full turn after it squeeks
1,173 Posts
Down here when we run Rain-X on the windshield, you don't have to turn the wipers on unless it's really raining hard because it will disperse almost instantly. Don't know if you're talking fog or moisture, Moe, but sometimes I'll turn the AC on to equalize the temp of the glass inside and out and that seems to help a lot.

Good Luck,
Em

·
"But how do it know?"
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rain-X works! Really well - but if you DO need to use wipers, it will smear.
However - if you really want to see how well it works, try driving at highway speed at night in the rain - you won't even know it is raining!
With Rain-X the faster you go the better it works!!
This is true. The outside water dispersing formula works well. FHP have used it for years.
Excellent, another excuse to go faster in the 40 mph zone lol! :evil:

Some "old timers" tales said to rub the dry windshield with an onion then buff,slice a little off at a time so you have a juicy surface ;)
I need to be more awake before I read the replies. I damn near ran to the kitchen to grab an onion and try it out lol!:p

A little glycerin added to the water for cleaning windows or mirrors will prevent them from fogging or steaming up or Winter cold from fogging glass! And its great for keeping mirrors from fogging when you shower! !ts non-toxic, colorless and odorless. You can buy it at pharmacies or drugstores. Its great for eye glasses too.

just add some glycerin added to the water and clean the glass :thumbup: I like raine x But use it and still get some fogging!

Jester
Sweet, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks! :thumbup:

If you do go the rain-x route make sure the glass is absolutely clean to start with or you will have a big mess. I have used it in the past when i drove for a living and it works real good. It does tent to make the wipers chatter a little. I used it because i hated running the wipers
Will do. I'll make sure to do it right after a car wash. Thanks! :thumbup:

Down here when we run Rain-X on the windshield, you don't have to turn the wipers on unless it's really raining hard because it will disperse almost instantly. Don't know if you're talking fog or moisture, Moe, but sometimes I'll turn the AC on to equalize the temp of the glass inside and out and that seems to help a lot.

Good Luck,
Em
Hey Em,

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Yes, it is the moisture that builds up at night (couldn't think of the word for it). I always turn up the heat full blast. Maybe that's my mistake?

Last night, I used a squeegee before running the wipers, and it helped marginally. Normally I would blame the wipers, but they are brand new and the problem with the moisture has always been there.

Thanks! :thumbup:

Thanks everyone!:thumbup: I'll be picking up a bottle of RainX and trying it out this weekend.

·
Registered
281 Posts
That definitely works my wife's car is outside at night. She uses the onion trick, says it works. My cars are garaged and no problems.
Russ
Later gator

1 - 20 of 27 Posts