Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
JS-70
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stubborn oil leak I have resealed 2 times and still leaking. SBC in performance boat. Synthetic oil. Running electric fuel pump so pump boss is blocked off. Tried 2 different covers, one steel, flat sanded the chrome off and used just gray silicone. Replaced it with aluminum cover with gasket and aircraft sealer. Both times I left the pump rod inside, would I be better off taking it out? And what sealer is foolproof? I have always had good luck with the gray Permatex. Thanks in advance! Richie

Attachments

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
It may not be the fuel pump block off plate leaking. Often times it is the front main seal, timing cover gasket, or oil pan gasket at the corners of the cross over rubber gasket.
Agreed , very seldom leaks there , either frt pan seal or crank seal . you do have a bolt in the right front upper motor mount hole on the front of the block , right ? . ( the one that goes into the fuel pump pushrod bore )

·
JS-70
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agreed , very seldom leaks there , either frt pan seal or crank seal . you do have a bolt in the right front upper motor mount hole on the front of the block , right ? . ( the one that goes into the fuel pump pushrod bore )
I am aware of the bolt hole and checked pan and crank seal. It definatley leaks at fuel pump plate

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
I would go back to the steel plate. Make sure it is flat and you can ditch the pushrod pump. Not sure why the gray didn't seal it up as that usually works well. Make sure you let it cure and if looks aren't important don't overlook putting a smear of grey all the way around the plate. I have seen mega-dollar Pro Stock engines look like they consumed a gallon of the stuff as every sealing joint is covered in it.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
I am aware of the bolt hole and checked pan and crank seal. It definatley leaks at fuel pump plate
Make sure the oil return hole in the pushrod cavity is open.
Ultra Grey should seal this up. Let it cure for 8 hours before running to be sure. Or, get some good gasket material and make your own gasket instead of that paper thin piece the gasket sets come with. The use Ultra Grey with the gasket.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
And the bolt threads. We have some engine parts that consistently leak through the bolts. Anaerobic sealant and activator did the job. The type that we used could not be exposed to oxygen. Residue 6 mos old is still uncured.
Possible that one or more of the 4 holes is open to the crankcase oil rather than blind as I would expect.

·
Registered
609 Posts
You said you're "aware" of the bolt hole...
So did you verify that it doesn't go all the way through, or did you put a bolt in it?

On my '66 283, that hole isn't an issue, so it never had a bolt in it, but on my '69 327 it goes all the way through.
When I put the 327 in my car, I wasn't aware that the hole went through, and when I drove it there was oil all over the place. You couldn't tell where it came from, since it was dripping from the oil pan and the fuel pump blockoff plate... among other things. I was sure at one point that it was the blockoff plate leaking. Changed gasket and RTV twice before I finally realized that it was actually the "mount hole".

So, put a bolt in those holes just to be sure... or not, up to you.

·
JS-70
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You said you're "aware" of the bolt hole...
So did you verify that it doesn't go all the way through, or did you put a bolt in it?

On my '66 283, that hole isn't an issue, so it never had a bolt in it, but on my '69 327 it goes all the way through.
When I put the 327 in my car, I wasn't aware that the hole went through, and when I drove it there was oil all over the place. You couldn't tell where it came from, since it was dripping from the oil pan and the fuel pump blockoff plate... among other things. I was sure at one point that it was the blockoff plate leaking. Changed gasket and RTV twice before I finally realized that it was actually the "mount hole".

So, put a bolt in those holes just to be sure... or not, up to you.
Yes the hole goes through. The front mount bolts on there along with the three other holes in the front. Sealed the bolt, removed the pushrod, installed new steel plate with Permatex Optimum Black, with maximum oil seal. Followed instructions, including waiting 24 hours. I will report back soon! Thanks for all the replies

·
Registered
258 Posts
That is one smart looking motor. The optimum black that we've used in the past, to remove the part we needed a hammer and chisel.
Yes the hole goes through. The front mount bolts on there along with the three other holes in the front. Sealed the bolt, removed the pushrod, installed new steel plate with Permatex Optimum Black, with maximum oil seal. Followed instructions, including waiting 24 hours. I will report back soon! Thanks for all the replies

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.