Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have a problem trying to unfreeze a 351w out of a 69 mach1..Any advise as what to use?? I have taken everything off that I can but the pistons will not budge. I want to save them and not ruin anything but its getting frustrating.The motor was never froze before but just sat too long. Over 10 years as im told.Thanks for any advice you can offer.......

·
Administrator
18,428 Posts
Get out the old penetrating oil and spray all around the pistons, top and bottom, if you can. Do you have the heads and pan off?

Clean any rust off the cylinder walls.

Let it sit a couple of days and then put a Johnson bar on the front and try to turn it.

·
"May the Schwartz be with you"
1,053 Posts
Soak the pistons as was stated. Use Marvel mystery oil, transmission fluid or any good penetrating oil. put a bunch in each cylinder and let it sit.

Have you pulled the main and rod caps yet?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I never tried it but you might try vinegar.....sounds strange but trust me it'll remove rust.

Put some vinegar in a small container, drop a rusty bolt in it and give it 3-4 hours to soak, the rust will flake right off when you gently brush it...it will also flash rust in a hurry once removed, so keep that in mind if you try it. later

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lonestar said:
Soak the pistons as was stated. Use Marvel mystery oil, transmission fluid or any good penetrating oil. put a bunch in each cylinder and let it sit.

Have you pulled the main and rod caps yet?

·
Registered
159 Posts
falconpro said:
Hey all, I have a problem trying to unfreeze a 351w out of a 69 mach1..Any advise as what to use?? I have taken everything off that I can but the pistons will not budge. I want to save them and not ruin anything but its getting frustrating.The motor was never froze before but just sat too long. Over 10 years as im told.Thanks for any advice you can offer.......
deisel fuel is good ,, soak the block ,,longer is better..,,,,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts