Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need suggestions. I'm trying to replace the brake pads on my '71 F-100 2wd. I have the hubs off the front and one rear but the right side rear won't budge It seems it's frozen to the axle. I've tried prying it. The adjuster won't budge either. Yes, I pushed in on the adjuster plate. I even tried heating the axle/drum, still stuck.

Any thing else i can try before I attempt to pull the axle? I really don't want to pull the diff apart if I can help it

·
Registered
432 Posts
Use some PB blaster around the drum /axle pilot. Then use a blunt punch and rap it hard between the studs, work your way around several times. Or use a air hammer with a bunt punch the same way. Should rattle it loose. If adjuster is seized out, you can grind the heads off the shoe hold down nails on the back side of the backing plate, which should let the shoes fold inward as the drum comes out. That as a last resort.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
If you dont need the core you can pry the backing plate back enough to see where the gap in in the pads(usually vertical), take a grinder with a cutoff wheel and cut two slits at the top and bottom of this gap.
Rotate the drum 90 degrees so your once again between the pads. Take a 3lb hammer and a chisel and hit the backside till it moves 1/8 to 1/4 off the pad. Usually one side being shocked and spting outward will give enough to have the thing fly off. But if not the other can be hit to give that side room.
Careful sometimes it can go further then planned. I learned that doing this with a slide hammer and almost taking one to the face.

Usually when they are this bad the hardware(almost always adjuster) is junk. So plan on replacing it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Use some PB blaster around the drum /axle pilot. Then use a blunt punch and rap it hard between the studs, work your way around several times. Or use a air hammer with a bunt punch the same way. Should rattle it loose. If adjuster is seized out, you can grind the heads off the shoe hold down nails on the back side of the backing plate, which should let the shoes fold inward as the drum comes out. That as a last resort.
Thanks I did do the PB blaster thing and was tapping of the drum while prying I'll try the blunt end inbetween the studs

·
Registered
1967 Chevrolet Caprice
34 Posts
lift the truck up and allow the drum to drop about 12inches onto a large piece of wood or aluminum keeping your safety in mind this wont hurt the axle and probably wont crack the drum either.. 3 strong men can pick the side of the truck up and let it drop onto something like a 6x6 block of wood .. do this a few times and it will pop off . i know this sounds caveman as all get out but it works every time .. hard to do on the fronts but the backs its easy

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,734 Posts
We had to beat a rear drum off my son's MCSS (after it sat 12 years in a yard) with a dead-blow hammer, all the guts were rusted together in a lump. Didn't harm anything that wasn't replaceable...

Russ

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Got an air chisel with a flat punch? Wear ear protection... Just work the flat punch between the studs flat against the drum. Soaking the axle/drum interface in penetrating oil will help. I have never had this method fail. Before you put it back together, clean all surfaces and coat the axle flange with white grease or never seize.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I got it off. Took all of the advice and did a combination of each to make it work Remember, when all else fails, get a bigger hammer. My five pound sledge did the trick. And as expected, pieces fell out as I removed the drum

Thanks all Any suggestions on the best way to clean this mess up? I did order all new parts. Just waiting for the delivery

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Shoot it with some brake cleaner while wearing a mask.
Then pentrating on the bolts
Remove the backiing plate and toss it into a tote of simple green.
Brush the heck out of that plate and the axle.
Sand everything with a wire brush then 120. Paint it with vht primer then brake or vht paint.
The new hardware is painted you can paint the drum with the same vht primer and vht/caliper paint in any color you want.

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you are starting over with new hardware, wheel cylinders, just remember that the dust is cancer causing, saturate with mineral spirits and use parts brush, to keep dust down. Then use brake cleaner as final. Vht paint is good stuff for rattle can.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.