Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
64Bird said:
I've got a stuck driver's side rear brake drum. I've gotten after it with a small sledge. Don't know if I should heat it with a torch or not.
Any thoughts?
a little more info would help like what kind of car, does the drum turn but you cant get it of or is it completely frozen. What have you tried so far.
Generally they can freeze 2 ways, stuck on the shoes or stuck on the hub. If it wond turn at all , back the shoes off. If it is stuck at the center hub, a few smacks with a BFH will usually break it free. Something like PB Blaster will usually help as well. Spray on hub flange and around lugs where they potrude from the drum. Be sure to let it soak for a while, takes time to work

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
take two screw drivers on each side of the hub, And put a little pressure on them, While someone hit's the hub, Sometimes a little heat will free them up,,,And I mean ''a little'' heat,,,Don't get crazy with the heat.. I had some really bad one's already.... Make sure you back off the shoes first... :)

They usually get stuck to the center of the axle... :pain:

·
http://www.warsprints.com
2,024 Posts
64Bird said:
Sorry, its a 64 Falcon with an Ford 8 inch rearend. The drum will turn so I'm assuming its stuck on the hub. I'll try more penetrant and a bigger BFH.
Even though the drum will turn, it is possible that the brake shoes are holding it. If the drums are old (and I assume so) it is possible that the shoes have worn a small ridge inside of the hub. I would back the adjusters off in addition to using a BFH and/or the screwdriver method. You can use the two screwdrivers on each side and see if the outer part of the drum will flex, that will give you a pretty good indication if the shoes are holding it too. If you can pull the outside of drum out with the screwdrivers, it is stuck on the hub. They are cast hubs and will crack or chip so be careful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.