Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Senior Shadetree
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Chevy 454 that is stuck from sitting the past 3 years. Any suggestions of an easy way (or not so easy), to unstick it? I'm including tearing down the engine. What's best for freeing up the pistons? Marvel Mystery Oil, WD-40, wooden block & hammer? :sweat:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've used diesel fuel or kerosene. Fill each cylinder and put the spark plugs back in. Let it sit for a few days, pull the plugs back out and then try to turn it over by hand. After you get it turning over by hand and get all of the kerosene/diesel fuel out of your cylinders and change your oil. I've had pretty good luck that way but after you get it turning over you should still pull it apart to see how the cylinders look.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
Get this tool....
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/P...&N=700+4294925139+4294925138+115&autoview=sku
Take the pulley off the crank and install the tool. Attach a 1/2" breaker bar with a reeeaaaalllly long tube slipped over it. The reeeaaaalllly long tube should be sticking straight up or close to it. Follow the suggestion of 47dodge about filling the cylinders. After letting it soak for a few days, give a yank on the reeeaaaalllly long tube clockwise and counter-clockwise every time you walk by the motor. Sooner or later, the crank will turn some. Keep after it.

·
Which way to the swap meet??
68 Posts
I bought a 396 that was stuck and all is was, was a stuck valve. I took push rods out and it spun over. Cylinder walls in 1 and 4 were pitted :( Motor had sit out for a year.....at lest thats what he told me. Sold it already so it must not of been to bad

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.