Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

First off i will readily admit I am a newby. I have a harbor freight stud gun but am have trouble with the studs coming off when pulling on them. Am I not holding the trigger long enough? Just trying not to warp the panel with too much heat. I am hold the trigger for about 5 seconds - 1,2,3,4,5? Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
129 Posts
stud gun

If you are pulling whole stud off then they are not welding on good. Hold longer or clean area better. If you pull stud and make hole in panel you held too long. Practice on a scrap piece until you get the timing right. Should be a nice cherry red around head for a second. They don't like long extension cords or smaller wire ones. Too much voltage drop.

·
Im trying to have an idea!
380 Posts
did you ever master the gun? Just wondering because I also have the stud gun from HF. My brother used it and said the studs were not sticking right. I am just thinking user error. I believe he was also using an extension cord. I would not see how this type of product could be faulty, simple enough to make/ design.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't have the HF gun, but on mine, they say only hold the trigger for about a second at the most. I used to hold for a full second and they'd stick well, but I've found that a bit over half a second will get the studs to stick well enough for pulling but easy enough to twist off without getting out a grinder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.