Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Brodix (aluminum) Ik200's. I am mounting them to a 383 stroker. I am using arp studs.

What torque setting do I use for the studs into the block? And the nuts to the studs?

Are they the same as regular torque specs for the heads on a SBC heads with bolts?

·
More for Less Racer
20,931 Posts
Studs are never supposed to be torqed into the block, just installed finger tight. As far as the nut torque spec, go to ARP's site and look it up, they are all different depending on the size, length and style of the stud. There are more than one stud style for the SBC, so look it up by the part # of the studs you have.

The fact that the heads are aluminum makes no difference.

ARP torque specs are frequently different than factory specs because ARP uses a different material for their parts.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
pittbull7934 said:
I have know way of knowing what the part number on the studs are.
Just a heads-up on studs- the nuts are an integral part of the fastener. I'd suggest that you use ARP nuts, too.

And don't forget to use ARP's hardened washers between the aluminum head and the nut. The softer aluminum will gall if a washer is not used.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, The motor was assembled with the heads that are on it. The motor was dynoed, and since then has been sitting on the stand.

I am changing out the head to the Brodix heads. Should I still follow the recomended stuff listed above?

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
pittbull7934 said:
Should I still follow the recomended stuff listed above?
In addition to the above, you might want to clean the threaded holes in the block to remove any hardened sealer, etc.

If you do this, use a thread chaser- not a tap. You do not want to remove any metal, just clean the threads. A tap will cut metal from the threaded hole, a thread chaser will not. There are cheaper chasers that look almost identical to a tap that will also do the job.

Remember that if you use head studs, the engine will need to be removed in order to remove the heads from the engine on most vehicles, due to a lack of room to pull the heads over the studs inside the engine compartment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.