Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Running on empty
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Four years ago I got my 55f100, not the way Iwanted though, anyway, for 15 years i hadn't worked on a car, not that I didn't want to, just didn't have time. My good friend, Harry had this truck and for years I tried to buy it from him. He would never sell it to me because of what I would do to it , he wanted to kept it the way it was when he got it 30 plus years ago. Then one morning Igot a phone call saying Harry had passed away overnite, I went to see the family and thats when they told that he had left the truck to me. So the truck got built, not really the way he wanted, but close, in memory of him. {see pic 1}

Know, on to why I'm here, once it is your blood it's in there to stay, I bought another car. My wife is shakin her head and saying things like stupid is as stupid does and a whole lot more. I found a 51 Merc living in a barnyard with chickens & cows, true story. Made an offer and he took it. I need some input from guys, first the flathead, doesn't run, keep it or pull it, I's a fourdoor, chop it or leave it. This car is going to be my daughters, so maintenance comes into play or should I say drivablity. Anyway, some comments be appreciated.

Attachments

·
I need a bucket of arc sparks
895 Posts
I think flathead V8s are totally cool, but from a reliability or parts availability point a 350 Chevy or a 5.0 Ford would be much better. Chop it drop it and watch the heads turn as you drive by.:thumbup:

·
im on a highway to hell
688 Posts
thats a sweet truck you did his memory proud.:cool:

as to the merc go with a new drive train and definatly a chop drop and maybe weld the back doors and take out the b pillar.

:cool: :cool:

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Sweet truck:thumbup: For the Merc I would swap the drivetrain to something newer and parts plentiful. Chop the top.Shave the door handles.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Sweet truck.What a memorial.Agree with the others on the Merc.Make a sled out of it.Couple frenched antennas,moon caps,big chrome grille,spotlights,put some air bag suspension under it for speed bumps,and a modern EFI engine.Being a Ford product I would throw in a 350.j/k,I believe a modern engine from a Ford Lightning would rock that Merc.If the SHO engine wasn't a six in a car that heavy that would be different.Oh yeah GHOST FLAMES.:thumbup:

·
Registered
190 Posts
4.6 sohc motors are pretty plentiful now. Not as good as the dohc cam 4.6 but way cheaper. also you buy the cammer motors as crate engines now. With a 4.6 would probably get at least 15-20 mpg. FYI The 4.6 dohc cobra motor is way better then the 5.4 lightning motor.
I would chop it and weld up and smooth out the back doors. It would make it look sectioned and ultra low.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Not knocking the 4.6.But when the Lightning can run with and beat a Cobra.I would say the 5.4 is way better.Ford was not happy when their truck beat their snake. Maybe I am just biased with the Lightning.I always thought they were tough and I am a Chevy guy.Just killed me seeing two of them on a J.D Byrider car lot here not too long ago.

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
RCastle said:
Not knocking the 4.6.But when the Lightning can run with and beat a Cobra.I would say the 5.4 is way better.Ford was not happy when their truck beat their snake. Maybe I am just biased with the Lightning.I always thought they were tough and I am a Chevy guy.Just killed me seeing two of them on a J.D Byrider car lot here not too long ago.
I think he might mean reliability wise. I hear the 5.4's in the lightnings have had some problems, especially with throwing rods.

·
Registered
74 Posts
What can I add.... OUTSTANDING! Nice truck. You did your guy proud!

As for the Merc, just a thought, have you asked your daughter what she might think? The reason is you were talking dependability and maintenance. She might let you know about things if she has some input to it. Then again she probably is better at that than mine were.

Any of the ideas before would be good. One other thought, sleeper. Keep it stock looking generally speaking. Definitely upgrade the drive-train, brakes and etc. Mechanical upgrades for the reliability.

You know so hot shot will pull up and want her to run and she will of course have to put him in his place! "Dad, I was defending your honor. He said it wasn't built right!"

I do have one other question tho....If your building the Merc for your daughter I just was wondering if you would be interested in adopting a son!:thumbup:

Pappy

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
That is what I meant,I am a little biased.Reliability or performance wise,I love the Lightning.I would not have one because of the expense.I found that out with the SHO.When you have a car that requires six special plug wires at the tune of $400.00 a set. I am sure the Lightning being supercharged would get expensive,The Harley Davidson Edition F-150 SuperCrew is sweet,has the same 5.4.Most people sell them after they get 100K on them here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts