Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i have a 83 dodge diplomat i got a few years ago now and ide like to fix it up for fun, it runs and everything, bodys good but the front sub frame is rusty, how much would a new sub frame cost and were would i buy one at? thanks alot!!!

also would it be mayjorly hard to put it on a full frame? ide like to go the easyest way and get rid of that rust, thanks!!!

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
What you want to do would be exceedingly expensive and would probably cost more than the value of the car, even if you did it yourself. Make no mistake this would not be an easy project.

Your car is a unit-body design and the only sub frame that will easily fit is one from another 88 Dodge Diplomat. If the frame is rusty, that's not a big deal. If it's rusted out with holes and has been seriously compromised then the best course of action would be to part the car out because like I said before, fixing it would cost way more than the value of the car.

Take a strong wire brush and clean the existing sub frame so you can check to see if it has rusted through. If not just paint it with some POR-15 and spend your money on other improvements.

The idea of putting a unit-body car on a full frame is another expensive, labor intensive project and I wouldn't recommend it for your application since literally everything would have to be fabricated.

Good luck,

Centerline

·
Registered
8 Posts
Get another sub frame from a junk yard that is in good shape. you
can change the frame and reinstall the running gear. I have done it a couple times with GM cars. If you get a good one complete you will be able to change the whole frame with components and not have to strip the old one. The last one I did I just bought a junk car with good frame. Took out frame with steering wheels brakes tie rods etc and changed everything. Than put my engine and trannie in and it was ready to go.
Takes time but can be done at a reasonable cost, depending on what you get for parts.
Fred

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for ansering, maybe some hope after all, im not affraid of some work and we know some what alot about cars, does the sub frame unbolt or do we have to grind it off or what? ive never owned a sub frame car befor this one lol thanks alot! i added u to my aim ide like to talk to you more about it , my aim is diablo2evos (no not the devil diablo is a game ) lol thanks alot!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here is my e-mail
[email protected]
If you want to put me on your IM use [email protected].
This is my IM registration. However I very seldom check this e-mail. I check fm50ford daily. On the GM cars and a Renault I did they both bolted on I am not sure about Chrysler products. You will have to look at your car where the subframe meets the body and see if it bolts or is welded. I am sure if it is bolted the procedure will be similar to the GM.
Good Luck and keep me posted
Fred

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kool thanks alot! if it bolts on that will really be good, ill go have a look and ill email ya and let ya know ;)

what all will i have to take out befor removing the front sub? i know the motor and tranny, but anything eles? thanks alot!

·
Registered
8 Posts
sub frame

not sure what to remove til you check it out. I have left the chevy motor and trans on the frame and took it all out together The renault and the olds i pulled the motor and trans first. All depends on what you got and what experience you may have

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.