Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pure American Muscle
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Well I am putting together all the parts I need so I can install my heads when they get here. I went down through the list at AFR and got all the suggested parts as far as gaskets go. (intake, exhaust)
The only thing that is a bit confusing is that the head gaskets. The head gasket AFR says to use is a Fel Pro but it has a .041 compressed thickness.
Now my pistons are stock .025 in the hole so wouldn't that give me way to much distance there??
.041+.025=.066

I would really be thankful if someone could point me in the right direction. I know I should look for a quench of around .045-.05?

I thought maybe the Fel Pro 1094 that is .015 that would give me 40 but would that work with an alu. head??

Thank again everyone.

Chris

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but I think that the embossed shim gaskets won't work with aluminum heads. It may be due to brinelling the aluminum heads mating surface.

It's not too late to disassemble the shortblock and have it decked, unless your just doing a heads swap.

Larry

·
Pure American Muscle
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yea I know I was really hopeing not to have to do that cause the will just lead to other things. Is there any head gasket that would work?

Just looking through gaskets at summit there are Mr. Gasket .028 ultra-seal composite head gaskets?
p/n MRG-1134

SCE-Pro Seal Composite Head Gaskets composite type .015
p/n SCE-511101
Chris

·
wind & fire = guides to power
1,529 Posts
I'm not positive but I think that the expansion rates are different from steel to aluminium and that is why thick gaskets are recommended.

be careful if you do choose the thinner gaskets.

·
Pure American Muscle
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea thats what I was wondering cause I mean that is a pretty blanket statement for AFR to make it doesn't even say like head must be decked or anything when you read the installation instructions. ??? Gah I hate these little problems.

Chris

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Mr. Gasket might be your best option for a thin gasket. I looked for a bit and those were the thinnest composite gaskets I found as well. I'm not familiar with SCE gaskets.

Annealed copper might be an option if you're willing to risk having leaks. Again, I'm not 100% sure on the compatibility with aluminum heads.

I'd really suggest having the block decked if it's not already in the car. You may be setting yourself up for a great deal of frustration with leaky gaskets.

·
Pure American Muscle
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I know what your saying with that. I can see it now but I really wanted to know is why does AFR suggest that gasket if it is two big. Unless like NXS said and under normal opp. temps. the .041 gasket will act smaller maybe? and be the right size...

Chris

·
wind & fire = guides to power
1,529 Posts
The gasket won't act smaller. It is that they expand (in all directions) in a plane...the block and head "slide" against each other as they expand. A thin gasket doesn't have much "give" in it and causes leaks.

·
Pure American Muscle
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know they expand but since, I would think alu. would expand more then iron and if it expands wouldn't it get a little thinner ir am I way off here? Therefore you would need a little extra for alu. then iron cause it expands more.
I can see why they would suggst the thicker gasket but why that thick?? If I am correct you would want the same quench with alu. as you would with iron right? The gasket I took off was a .041 thick the best I can tell from measuring the compressed parts of it. I mean the engine ran great before with that on 87oct. and iron heads but thats not to say it couldn't of ran alot better.

Chris

·
Pure American Muscle
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does everyone think I would be ok with the shim .015 that either Fel-Pro or Mr. Gasket makes? That would put me at .04 which I think is pretty good and would offer the added bonus of a well mixed CC.
Then again i am the one asking the question :confused: :confused:

Thanks to all those who have helped thus far!

Chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts