Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of installing a new IFS and the welded components will have to be painted along with the frame and A arms. Any suggestions on paint product and manufacturer would be really appreciated.

·
Registered
339 Posts
www.zerorust.com is what I use it easy to use. then some use POR-15 more caution needs to be use with it but its tougher. Or have it powder coated. these are just a few.

:D

·
Registered
323 Posts
I've used Zero Rust as well. I like the stuff, seems pretty durable. Easy to apply, and no isocyanites. They've got a few different colors available, too.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Collins, I am planning on doing as much of the frame as is reasonable with the body on. I don't have a hoist and I don't want to take the body off this time around. But I want the frame, cross member, etc to have a good looking and durable finish. My car is a driver and it is going to get dirty. Powder coat is out I think because of the bake process. I have used POR15 on a set of headers and they are performing well. The stuff is expensive but I would prefer to do the job only once. I'll check into the product more before I make a decision.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would check about putting por on clean metal I don't think you are supposed to.You could use paint, clean your frame good then wipe it down with wax and grease remover. after its clean scuff what you are going to paint with a red scotch bright.Figure where you are going to blend or break paint off.I would look for a natural break that a hard tape line won't show up on.Hang bolt on suspension parts up to paint.The paint I used on my 62 chev frame was imron from dupont its the most durable paint I know of.I've painted it over ppg black dp 90 a few times with good results even though different manufactures. On something that might fisheye put first coat of dp 90 and paint on dry then apply wetter coats. ppg dcc single stage black works well but imron stays shiney and is more durable.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mavrick, Stinkin and Collins for the advice. I did some additional research and decided to go the POR 15 route. The process is fairly simple and it can be blended and overpainted in the future. All the welding work is about done and the clean-up is starting later this week. I'll use the recommended prep tips and I am confident all will turn out fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts