Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,
Hi im new to the site and exited to be here. I just purchased a 68 chevy camaro. I go to school for auto restoration and have gratuated already for autobody. I will be doing the body of the car myself and have already started. But im not really an engine guy. I do not know very much about them. My uncle will be building my engine and wants to know what i want to do to it. The car isnt going to be drivin very much but I still would like to have some good power, It will be a showcar. What are some suggestions on what I should have done to the motor? But remember im a college student so i will only be able to spend up to 2000 dollars. Thank you very much you are much help. If you have any questions or comments just ask. thanks, ben

·
Registered
654 Posts
Welcome Karels03,

Good luck with the Camaro build. To help decide how to build your engine check out http://www.edelbrock.com/
and do a little research on cam / induction systems.

You can put together some nice streetable power by choosing the correct components and save money by shopping wisely.

Also, hopefully you will be able to work with your Uncle building the engine and continue the learning process.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Read! Read! Read!

You can do some pretty cool stuff on $2000 if your uncle is working for free, and you are willing to read. Research is the key. Bigger is not always better. If you mix and match, just make sure that the pieces will work with each other. A big old hog of a carb looks cool, but it ain't necessarily the thing that the engine needs. Been there, done that. Anyone need a Carter AFB?:nono:

What kind of power do you want to make? You can make "modern" power (nitrous, superchargers....) or you can make "nostalgia" power through cam selection, cylinder head work, compression ratios, and so on, like was done in '68.

At any rate, like my dad says, do it right and you'll do it once. You'll have a great time, learn a lot, and make yourself that much more marketable when you graduate. Keep us posted. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts