Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the rockers on my '86 chevy pickup, using TriPlus parts I got from Keystone Automotive. The passenger side went on fine since I replaced the entire rocker. On the driver side, I replaced only the front portion, leaving about 6-8 inches of the original rocker intact since it was in good shape. That was my mistake. The new rocker bottom flange is significantly shorter and wider than the original, off by about a 1/4" or so.My thought is to hammer the original flange flat, and then re-bend it to match the new part. Does anybody have an easier solution?

Attachments

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,296 Posts
I personally like to modify the replacment part being that is the one that is wrong. However, if you can trim the original back to a point that it looks natural, go for it. One of the biggest things about doing repairs is making it look "like it belongs" that does NOT mean make it exactly as it was.

What is the change that you could weld the new piece back together and then just replace the whole thing?

Brian

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up fixing the new piece. I had to flatten both bends, as neither one lined up. Took me about 4 hours, since I had to redo the bottom bend twice, and with all the hammering the metal strectched, so I shrank it the best I could, but still ended up having to cut and weld a few places in the middle. I'll put some pics up later.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts