Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im lookin to make my own suicide door hinge as a project n im doin everytin myself for my very 1st car bcan sumone help me with sum correct specs n measurements to make it please ..im from Trinidad an Tobago in d Caribbean .

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,429 Posts
You have a LOT of thinking and designing on this one. I did a suicide door job before they had all the hinges that are available now. It was on a VW Bug and I used 56 Ford F-100 hinges. It is VERY complicated how to mount them and such so this works. The location of the hinge PIN is the most important to the job. The door needs to go OUT before it swings back. I spent, no kidding, I spent about 30-40 hours on the first side. Then about 6 on the other after I had figured it all out.

Personally, I would scrap the idea if I were you. They are only seen when you open the door, spend that time on something you see always like a top chop or super nice paint work or what ever. Spending so much time on something that you only see when you get in and out of the car isn't worth it. And the looks of a car is sooooooo much more important with all the panels closed, why spend so much time on something that makes the car look bad as with doors or hood open? Just a suggestion.

Brian

1 - 2 of 2 Posts