Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im hoping that theres someone who lives In the Texas area ( or driving distance) that can recommend a good place to have my doors done. Ive got some friends that say they can do it but this would be there first time doing suicide doors. I just want it to be done right the first time. Is it something that anybody with a little metal working / welding skills with some common sense can do . Thanx

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,376 Posts
"Some metal working skills and common sense" is a relative statment :)

I have to say, I have done them, they were pretty challenging. I have seen a LOT of them poorly done, so it must take more "metal working skills and common sense" than most people think.

What kind of car are we talking about?

·
16,376 Posts
That is about as easy a car as you will get to do it. Now, if memory serves me the doors on that car swing OUT on the outside of the front fender like the trucks of that year do right? If they do, you don't even have to buy hinges, just put the hinges on the rear and move the latch to the front. Though, I would use a modern "bear claw".
The door is strong yet light, so little reinforcment would be needed. The quarter as well will need little reinforcement.

That would be a pretty easy one to do.

Click on the link below and you will see a diagram of some hinge theory. The hinge pin needs to be positioned as close as possible to the skin on the quarter. As you can see in the "B" diagram the hinge being back too far brings the arch in and the door is actually moving back as it moves out causing clearance problems with the door to quarter.

If I am correct the door moves out over the fender on your car, if it does you can see that the hinge pin is pretty close to the fender skin. Repeat this on the back and you shouldn't have a problem.

You will have to add some reinforcment to those hinges, but on that car it is pretty straight forward.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So Im am basically cutting out the hinge part and placing it the other side and opposite of the latch. I was a lil" confused:confused: with how the hinge is kinda "floating" in the quarter panel. Didnt know how it attaches . but I guess you can cut out that whole section and weld it elsewhere.

·
16,376 Posts
I don't have the car in front of me so it is hard to say how I would do it. I have taken a section out of the latch piller and moved it to the front on a suicide door job. But I think the cowl where the hinges are now is going to be shaped so different than the door jamb area on the back this may not be possible. But then again, it may be the way to do it, I just can't say without looking it over. It is very likely that the area where the hinge is on the front is sunken in more than the latch area on the other side so some fab work will have to be done to set the hinge back far enough. But again, without looking in person it is real hard to say.

One of the easiest ways is to have a donor car. I know they are getting harder and harder to find but it is still possible to find a guy who is willing to cut the front cowl side off and you can use that on the rear so the front of yours can stay intact. All you will need to do is make some metal pieces to cover up the hinge mounting area.

Look how the hinge mounts in the cowl, you have it all right there. Just duplicate it on the back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts