Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I've seen this done to many 62-64 impalas on the lowrider circuit, it looks very cool if you shave the doorhandles as well. I've seen some just use reversed hinges, I've seen some use a industrial size book hinge (like the ones are your house door but bigger)I've also seen a few people use the hidden hinge kit that is normally used on rods. You will have to do 3 things to make it look smooth and the way you want, get rid of the posts for the window vents, shave the doorhandles, and get new windows made because you are going to have a triangular gap where the window vent was, I've seen some who re-weld the vent to the windsheild frame but I think it looks tacky and takes away from the look you are trying to acheive. I think you can use an 80's model caddilac elderado window that is shaped to fit the doors but I'm not sure, go to your local glass shop and ask some questions, I did a '63 about 5 years ago but I don't remember where I got the glass, but I think it was an elderado, don't remember

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is an improvision on the first message i sent. I forgot to add that may 63 was a four door and i was wanting to do the back 2 doors.
But thanks HalloweenKing for your imput. If you know of anything i could do for this i would appreciate it.
JJ

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
ok if you have the tools and the time, keeping the window frames would look tacky, so first you have to 86'em. that just as befor will mean you have to work with the windows a bit, but the look is worth it, your going for that 60's lincoln look, since theres that post you need to cut it out and reinforce the roof, but don't 86 the post, cut the post the the equal size of the rear door and weld it to the rear door just as if it the rear door was closed affter removing the latch, weld a patch panel on each end for smoothness as well as the floor and the roof, also add a small lip for your windows to contact so you can seal out the rain and wind with some of that black foamseal, make sure you measure right to include the size of the patch panal so the doors will close right, after that install some suicide door latches to the floor and bottom edge of the door this will keep your passengers from commiting unwilling suicide, hehe, you can get these from anywhere if you scan through a rod magazine, put a peice of windlace between your modified (some attach it to the rear indow permanantly)windows and your good to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts