Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys need a little input. not too long ago i installed a new summit brand carb on my 383 stroker. it ran great. never had a issue. shortly after i took the car to a body shop to get the front end touched up after a little boo boo and when i got it back it runs like garbage. it starts fine, but if i let it run with the fast idle for maybe a minute or two and kick it down, it stumbles unless i give it a little gas and when i put it in gear, it wants to stall. sometimes it does depending how long i let it warm up. could something have gotten into the carb when it was at the body shop? i asked the painter if he had maybe accidently bumped something under the hood and he assured me he didnt and i trust him because he is a friend of mine. could maybe the needle and seat have dirt or some sort of debris stuck in it? i thought maybe it was the carb gasket, i replaced that and it still does the same thing. any input will be greatly appreciated. thanks fellow car buffs!

·
Registered
843 Posts
In a word, yes. I am not familiar with these carbs, they are based on a discontinued Holley design. I suspect they have air bleeds, and othe features that could become contaminated. I suggest disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly. I hope you're successful insolvent this.

PatM

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In a word, yes. I am not familiar with these carbs, they are based on a discontinued Holley design. I suspect they have air bleeds, and othe features that could become contaminated. I suggest disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly. I hope you're successful insolvent this.

PatM
thats what i thought too. i mean its the only reasonable explanation right?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I will be taking it apart tonight after work and hopefully once I clean it and put it back together it'll run like it did. I'll let you guys know how it works once I do. Thanks for the insight guys. I've never taken apart one of these carbs before so wish me luck! Lol!!

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
just be careful and thorough, id pick up two cans of carb cleaner to be safe, you need to clean every little nook, cranny, and orifice. The harder they are to get to, and the smaller they are the more likely they are to be dirty.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just be careful and thorough, id pick up two cans of carb cleaner to be safe, you need to clean every little nook, cranny, and orifice. The harder they are to get to, and the smaller they are the more likely they are to be dirty.
thanks for the tip man. i will do that. too bad brake clean isnt a good solvent to use because i have enough of that i supply summit racing haha

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
thanks for the tip man. i will do that. too bad brake clean isnt a good solvent to use because i have enough of that i supply summit racing haha
Brake cleaner may be adequate, depends on what is clogging up the carb.

The Berryman's was recommended to me as well, it cleans some stuff okay but I have never found it to be great at cleaning anything.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I took it all apart and cleaned it. I mean really cleaned it, I think. And I put it back together and it still runs like poop. Not as bad but still poop. Maybe I didn't clean it enough? Of maybe there's something else wrong. I dunno. The engine is on craigslist right now. In tired of this engine. It's given me nothing but problems since the first time I started it. So I got me a LS 6.0 liter sitting in my garage from a truck. That bad boy will be going in next :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
did you call the people at summit? sometimes they are pretty helpful(sometimes not) but I have the same (street/strip racing 600 cfm carb?) on my Ford 302- I had problems with the air/fuel mixture needles-adjustment- at first- they were a little touchy- but I am interested in knowing why yours went bad all by itself- not very comforting- its a brand new carb after all- well good luck-

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well last night I cleaned that SOB really good and it was still running bad but it got a little better. So just for giggles I checked the timing. Because I had a feeling there was no way this carb was junk. And sure enough, the timing was WAY off! Why it was off I have no idea. Maybe my painter lied to me? I don't know. But it runs 200% better now.

·
Registered
67 Posts
some times strange things happen at "The Shop"- every time I have to leave mine- something is messed up when I get it back- it sucks- I guess thats why I have such a crappy paint job- I did it in the front yard hahahaha- but at least nothing happened on that job hahahaha:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.