Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
72 grabber 51F-1 65 chevystang
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 65 mustang with a camaro clip and sbc. The driver side header is shot. It is rusted through bad around the collector. I am wanting to get a new set of headers. I see all different headers but most are 1 5/8 tubes with a 3 inch collector. I saw the summit headers for $89 and the price is nice but I am wondering if they are good quality

·
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty
13,765 Posts
You know what they say, You get what you pay for i have never tried the summit headers , But you can get a set of Hookers for around $160 maybe Little more but the same tube size. I ran them for years with no problems. JMO. The summits may be just fine But i like my Hookers Headers that is. :D . Cole

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Most real cheap headers use 18 ga. tubes, the Summits say 16 ga......BUT they have a 1/4 flange, not good!! The thin flanges tend to warp and will burn out the gaskets causing exhaust leaks. Once they warp....thats it. The Summit's may be ok for a while until you can save some $$$ and buy a nicer set.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I agree with tech, why not make a premium header with 16 ga. tubes and at least 3/8" flanges, 1/2" is even better and really thick collector flanges also. But it seems that the majority of these companies go after the low end of the price and quality scale consumer, probably because thats the largest buying group. Not that there is anything against those looking to buy the lesser expensive or lower quality products. What ever happened to the hot rodder that would save up his money to buy the top name brand parts, because he wanted quality pieces on his/her ride, instead of the now popular impulse buyer that will buy a part simply because its the cheapest price. Not realizing that long term, he might have to keep replacing the cheapo parts 3-4 times to the 1 time purchase of a primo part to start with.....Unfortunately, there will always be a buyer for the $99 roller rockers, and $69 headers and other too cheap to believe items. "You get what you pay", was thought up for a reason, and it is so true!

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Actually "Dougs Headers" now owned by Pertronix claims that on certain motorhome and some truck models they use 1/2" and even 5/8" flanges. I've never seen a set but thats what it says in their catalog..........and I bet they are EXPENSIVE!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.