Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post here. Great Forum. I'm replacing the cam in my 84 305 that is in my 56 Chevy truck. Right now the budget doesn't allow a 350. Too many other things that need to be addressed first. When I opened the engine up, everything was std. with minimal wear, but the PO said there was a miss which he attributed to a flat spot on the cam. That may or may not be. Didn't bother measuring -- just ordered the Summit K1102. Reading some other posts in other places, someone mentioned that you should replace the valve springs if you use this kit. They recommended Crane 99848s. My question is, is this really necessary or not? Also, I have two sets of heads. The engine had 14014416's on it, and the PO gave me a set of 14022601's that he guaranteed as good. Any thoughts on which to use? The engine was in an 84 C-10, but I'm putting it into the 56 with 79 Z28 front clip, Z28 3.73 rearend and TH350 with shift kit. Engine is a 4bbl with Quadrajet that was remanufactured recently. Can I use the Quadrajet without the Smog stuff, or should I get another carb? If so, what do you recommend? This truck will eventually have a/c and be my daily driver. I'm an old fart -- truck and I are the same age, and I'm not looking for blistering performance. Already has ps, pdb, etc. It was running with a hot 350, but PO sold the engine before I got it. Consequently, I have full headers and 2 1/2" exhausts with Flowmasters. I'm open to any suggestions -- but before you say "350", realize I want to get the truck running asap for as little as possible. I have a buddy that is going to give me a 350 core. Eventually, as time and money allow, I will build it up, but for now, the 305 is at the plate. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
14014416's are 1.84"/1.5" valves, 58cc chambers
and
601's are 1.72"/1.5" or 1.84"/1.5" valves, 53cc chambers

I would use the 601's to raise the CR ...the ones with 1.84 valves apposed to 1.72 would be better to have... in my opinion anyway.

personally i dont see a dire need to change springs but i would do it anyway. I assume this is just a daily driver type

·
Registered
774 Posts
gilby246 said:
14014416's are 1.84"/1.5" valves, 58cc chambers
and
601's are 1.72"/1.5" or 1.84"/1.5" valves, 53cc chambers

I would use the 601's to raise the CR ...the ones with 1.84 valves apposed to 1.72 would be better to have... in my opinion anyway.

personally i dont see a dire need to change springs but i would do it anyway. I assume this is just a daily driver type
I agree with all the above and the K1102 would be a nice choice for that application. BTW,you can buy Z28 style drop in springs for around $40.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
:welcome: welcomoe :welcome:

Additional lift and faster valve action can make an old used spring break. What if that happens and it eats the valve and piston?

I suggest you buy the cam, lifters, timing set, springs as a "set" from the cam manufacturer, and of course, install everything according to their recommendations.

It is extremely rare that a bad cam lobe will cause a miss. I've seen some pretty horrible cams and the engines ran pretty smooth and had decent power.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts