Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am confused, when I attempt to remove the rear main shaft assembly from the tranny case, it wont come out. The rear bearing retainer is loose and will only move 1/4 inch or so away from the tranny case.

I assume (no manual), that the proper sequence is to remove side cover, front bearing retainer, rear tailshaft housing, reverse shaft, rear bearing retainer with rear main shaft assembly. This is where the rub is. I cant get the forward part of second gear to clear the second gear on the cluster gear. In fact the rear mainshaft wont even pull out of the back of the front main shaft.

Anything I've pulled apart in the past would have just come apart at this point. I cant find a lock ring to take loose and just drop the interferring gear inside the case as I slide the rear shaft assembly out. Nor can I back the cluster pin out far enough to drop the front of the cluster gear out of the way.

What am I missing here????? Thanks for the space and...nice site

·
Registered
8 Posts
If I remember right, you have to remove the reverse gear from the main shaft as well so that you can remove the retainer. Then you can remove the counter shaft pin to drop the counter shaft down and get the main shaft assembly out.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I did slide the reverse gear back on the main shaft but the retainer won't come back more then a 1/4 inch away from the tranny case. I did try and knock the cluster pin out of it but it runs into the retainer before the pin clears the front inside of case.

Maybe I can jam some spacers between the retainer and case and then press the rear shaft forward enough inside of the rear bearing to free up some more space between the case and retainer and then drop the cluster pin out of it. I dunno seems like a strange way to disassemble a simple 4 speed.

Thanks for the help though and if I do get it apart I'll let ya know.

Thanks for the space guys......

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
t-10

I think on certin ratio's t-10's you need to remove the front bearing before you can get the main shaft out of the input. There is a set of rollers between the input and the main shaft and if i remember right there is also a flat ring in there too. I think it gets caught on something on the main shaft allowing it not to come out. It's been 5 years or so since i had a t-10 apart that did this to me i and can't remember right what i did...... try removing the front bearing and let us know how it goes..

Keith

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Keith but, high gear (on front main shaft) wont clear the forward gear on the cluster gear to allow removal out the front of the case lol.

I think I'll give it till tonite to see if someone else has run into this stuff. Then I think I'll throw it in the press and try to move the rear bearing back on the shaft thereby giving me more room at the retainer to get the cluster pin to back out of the front of the case. I am pretty sure this will break the retainer though.

I haven't even been able to disengage the dowel on the bearing retainer from the tranny case yet.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
BEARING

Yea i know what you are saying but i think you can still pull just the bearing off of the input shaft while everything else remains intact. You will need to remove the bearing retainer, and the snap ring on the input. then get 2 screwdrivers and pry the bearing foward from the input and case. I think this will allow enough movement to then remove the main shaft from the input.

Keith

·
Registered
8 Posts
No, the input won't come out the front of the case, but with the bearing off it will give you more play to tilt the mainshaft assembly and input up to possibly clear third gear and slide it out.
Normally though that rear bearing retainer should come off first, then the counter shaft pin, then the mainshaft assembly.

If you have someone around to give you a hand, try this. Make sure you've removed the back end of the mainshaft assembly so none of that is interfering with the retainer. Wedge 2 prybars between the case and rear retainer and have the second person rattle on the back of the mainshaft with an air chisel using a rounded bit. You wont have to worry about breaking the retainer this way as opposed to putting it in the press.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay guys, I'll go out there tonite and give it a shot. Thanks for the help everyone. I'll keep ya posted on the outcome. This is the strangest trans disassembly I've ever seen. Whatever the outcome someone should archive this post for the next poor S.O.B. that thinks to put new bearings in his kids car.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
O.K. I did rattle the shaft while prying on the retainer. That allowed the bearing to move back on the shaft about an eighth of an inch. This 1/8 inch was enough to back out the reference dowel on the retainer to clear the tranny case. After the dowel was clear, I spun the retainer around and found that the reverse gear shaft hole that goes through the retainer and into the case lined up with the cluster pin perfectly. I dropped the cluster and pulled the main shaft assembly right out the back of the case. Then the front main shaft with bearing and finally, the cluster gear.

Thanks for the help you guys and I hope this helps others with the Super t 10.

Thanks for the space Crosley and M&M.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts