Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, it's been a while since I last posted but let me assure you the insanity in Sweden continues.

My question of the day is if NOS will work on a Supercharged engine?

Enginebuild:
- 4cyl 16v, 2.3L (140cui) maybe I'll stroke it later on and get 2.5L (153cui)
- CR 10.5:1 but I'll probably lower that to 9.5-10.0:1 when I buy my pistons
- I'll run a Lysholm 1600 supercharger @ 20psi
- I got a watercooled chargecooler good for at least 1200bhp. I count on [email protected] 42C (108F) at it's worst.
- The head will be heavily modified + new custom cams
- E85 Fuel
- The list goes on but this is the most interesting stuff.

So, is there anything to gain with NOS? This build will already give me +600bhp

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
You can add nitrous. It will still add more power. You better have a bullet proof bottom end though as you are just increasing the stress on the bottom end.

·
Registered
26 Posts
not to mention how are you going to run the timing? and what kind of octane is going in this car? yes you can add nitrous to a forced engine. but if you run too much booste and throw the nos in you might run into detionation. )sorry about spelling) because if that happens you might just end up haveing a real heavy and expensive paper weight if the damage is bad enough.

·
Registered
948 Posts
You might be better off using the N²O to super cool your intercooler. Your compression ratio is too high to be running 20psi of boost.

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
I just noticed the E85 fuel thing. 10:1 with 20psi. Might want to recheck that. You will probably want a lot less compression with that much boost and nitrous. Also with nitrous you need to inject more fuel )depending on how big of shot of course). So an additional fuel source and axillary pump needs to be plumbed when the nitrous system is armed and functioning.
What kind of transmission is going to be behind this motor?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
vicrod> Satchel link with Drag Radials

Justin Habel> Programable EFI

RippinRon> Cooling will not be an issue and besides NOS does some cooling to. If I have to I'll plug in a tank with Ice water.
As for the compression vs. Octane, e85 is very knock resistant and I personally know people running higher boost with higher cr.

DeathRattle> Yeah the pump and fuel lines will be expeeeensive :(
I'll run a wet system if I do.

Thank you for the warnings,I do appreciate them but I'm fairly confident that the engine can take it. They're buildt like tanks...

I was thinking about some 150hp extra from the NOS.
No higher than 800bhp in total but I know people having +1000hp engines so it should be dooable.

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
800 horse on a stock motor. Does it come stock with forged internals? Is a stock trans too?
Only guided by your name I am assuming this is a volvo motor.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, uh... sorry.
I guess I was caught up with the usual jargon from over here. You are quite right. With original inside the limit would be much lower, perhaps 400bhp. I do plan on getting H-beam rods and forged pistons, some block filler and a girdle. Maybe we'll do an O-ring treatment for the block. Don't know what you call it? You mill out small circles around the cylinders and put wire there to allow for much higher cylinder pressures otherwise the seal between the block and the head might break to often.

The gearbox is a Getrag 280 from a BMW M5 and I know people using them for 800hp machines but it'll be close.

I should also say that 800hp is insane with this engine but it's doable. Maybe I'll end up much lower but if you do the math for less power you might end up cutting it a little to close -> big meltdown.

I doubt I'll get more than 500bhp from the engine but people I've been talking to believes 600hp.

The thing is... I havn't had any experience with NOS.
I figure on running a ignition retard if I install the NOS.
You guys have used NOS on the V8's for a long time so I hope for some advice from people with experience and know how.

I know that NOS works and I know blowers rock but I don't know if NOS works on blower engines?

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
Yeah they can work together. People run double and triple power adders a lot. Well at least in outlaw drag racing. They have classes for one, two, and sometimes three power adders. Nitrous will pick up the slack between the time the blower or turbo charger can reach its full potential.

You should already have the ignition retarded with the blower. I would be very cautious with that setup with the fuel you plan on running and the timing. Detonation would end that motors life very fast.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DeathRattle said:
Yeah they can work together. People run double and triple power adders a lot. Well at least in outlaw drag racing. They have classes for one, two, and sometimes three power adders. Nitrous will pick up the slack between the time the blower or turbo charger can reach its full potential.

You should already have the ignition retarded with the blower. I would be very cautious with that setup with the fuel you plan on running and the timing. Detonation would end that motors life very fast.
The Lysholm doesn't have any slack really? You have full charge from the moment you drop the clutch. Ok, there is some leakage in the lower band but at 2000rpm it is definately all there. It's a twin screw compressor with very high efficiency.
If I had a turbo there would be issues with the spool-up and such but not with this baby. :evil:

What I'm looking for is increased top end power. As soon as the tires hook you push the button and don't let go until you're across the finish line. So, it's power in a bottle that I'm looking for. Is this so wrong?

About the timing... I don't really wan't to use the EFI at all for the NOS, I want it as a stand alone unit. But having said that I'll go with the most practical solution whatever that will be? And yes, the ignition is already adjusted for the blower but I would imagine that the NOS will force some extra retard on the spark.

To get those extra ponies with regular tuning would be very expensive and would probably change the characteristics of the engine, turning it into a pure drag racing machine. I don't want that, 500hp is perfect for the street but when you hit the track you need more if you want to be in the game.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts