Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been driving the 383 I built for a few months now. Strong motor, great oil pressure. Runs good. Fun truck for sure, ended up about a truck length behind a buddies 2015 SS 6.2. The 383 is in a 95 single cab Silverado for anyone who doesn't remember.

The motor is 10.6:1 running pump 93 octane. I've been toying with the idea of adding a small blower like a wieand 177. Adding ~100whp is the goal.

Obviously, short of pulling the engine apart and changing compression ratio, the only option is E85 or race fuel. E85 is available in my area and luckily right down the road from work. This isn't a daily driver but I have never tuned a carb for E85.

How big of a pain in the butt would something like this be? Would E85 handle compression numbers if I was to run something like 5-8 psi? Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
I think your going to be better off starting with a diffrent shortblock. Your going to be pushing what those rings and pistons can handle with e85 as a substitute to proper parts.

That being said if you forget about boost and tune for e85 with more compression using what you have (careful tuning) you may find that 100hp your after.

I would like some electronics to watch and maintain the tune despite the conditions. But nothing compared to what I would want to run to maintain a turbo tune.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Your compression will def be High with 8 psi. I think your fuel consumption and other things like hard starts may be annoying getting up that high. I know i've killed the driveability of a build before trying to go high compression and it wasn't nearly this high. Yeah if it's for the looks i could understand but solely for 100 hp i would prefer NOS. It's easy these days to build a nice Ignition/Relay system and be pretty Trick. I'm running a similar motor with Sniper EFI and Msd 6al-2 and a dry NOS system. It's def nothing state of the art but nice for a budget friendly build. I like it a lot more than my last setup.. which was a 12.6-1 388

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Your compression will def be High with 8 psi. I think your fuel consumption and other things like hard starts may be annoying getting up that high. I know i've killed the driveability of a build before trying to go high compression and it wasn't nearly this high. Yeah if it's for the looks i could understand but solely for 100 hp i would prefer NOS. It's easy these days to build a nice Ignition/Relay system and be pretty Trick. I'm running a similar motor with Sniper EFI and Msd 6al-2 and a dry NOS system. It's def nothing state of the art but nice for a budget friendly build. I like it a lot more than my last setup.. which was a 12.6-1 388
You like the dry nitrous over a wet nitrous set up? What kit did you use? The rings weren’t gapped for any kind of power adder. I think, even with a factory gap, 75-100 shot should be okay?

·
More for Less Racer
20,947 Posts
Your blower idea on E85 is fine, it is really no different than the guys I know of running turbo's, just simpler. No wastegates and blow-off valves and controllers needed. And the turbo guys have been doing 20 psi on 11.0:1 short blocks, so 5-8 psi is relatively easy.

If you've got forged pistons and the ring gap is about .026-.028" you'l be fine.
You did keep record of what your gaps were when you built it, right??

You'll need a dedicated built for E85 carb, and your fuel system will need to be 30% larger....1/2" fuel lines, regulator and pump compatable with ethanol along with increased pump capacity, and hoses also need to be ethanol compatable.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I’d be tempted to add nitrous instead and be quiet about it. Put the bottles behind the seat, plumb underneath and up the back side of the emgine, keeping everything hidden as possible. Then surprise your buddy the next time you go head to head.

bogie
Why Professor Bogie,
If I didn't know you were such a gentleman and scholar; I'd almost think you've done this once or twice :devilish:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that was a really close race, for curiosity sake did he take you off the line or catch you on the big end ?
We went from a 10 mph roll up to about 100 mph. We were out on the 85 mph toll where folks drive 100 plus on a normal day! To about 60 he was probably a nose ahead of me 60-100 is where he got out in front of me.

I honestly think some better heads, or some work on these box promaxx 200's I have, along with some better carb tuning, and I could make it a closer race N/A. But I want to put a truck length on him instead!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.