Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Correct. The blower is belt driven directly oc the crankshaft. If the engine is running and the blower belt is on the blower is spinning. You gotta love movies, LOL.

Royce

·
Pure American Muscle
684 Posts
Wonder if there could be a way to get the belt to stop turning the blower. Some kinda small ele. motor that would lossen and tighten the belt via another pulley at the flick of a switch. Or just something in the pulley attached to the blower that would slip somehow kinda like a clutch. lol. I have no idea never ventured into the world of blowers.

Chris

·
Registered
58 Posts
I doubt that would work either. The answer I want is why would you need it to go off? Under normal driving it is making no boost unless you are over driven. So whats the purpose of turning it off?:confused:

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Chris,
The problem with the type of blower he is talking about, that it has a cogged belt and pulleys (teeth). I guess you could run a serpentine style belt and pulleys and use some sort of solenoid to loosen belt tension. I have heard of people talking about usin a clutch ie.. AC compressor, I guess in theory that would work, cause the blower could still freewheel which you would want even it it were "turned off". Not sure what the purpose would be if you don't want boost just don't smash the pedal and bingo no boost.

Royce

·
Registered
66 Posts
supercharger

I know I am going to get bashed on this one....BUT a Nissan Skyline has a clutch operated supercharger and a turbocharger. They use the supercharger to kill the LAG and then when the RPM's and boost come up the computer shuts off the supercharger, switches plenums, and closes the wastegate valve on the Turbo. But what everone says here is true, The Skyline is the only clutch style supercharger that I know of.
Oh and for the record....If you shut off the supercharger without switching the plenums you would choke off the engine. It would be just like butterflies closing on a carb when you let off the throttle.

·
Pure American Muscle
684 Posts
That's true I didn't think of the teeth. I guess it's one of those things that you can waste lots of time and money doing for no other reason then saying HEY look what I did lol. Also I would think that an engine set up for a blower would not run so well if your not useing the blower at a time when you should. such as mashing it down. Who knows lol.

Chris

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
on off switch for blower

In order to do this you would have to have a clutch system similar to what is on your air conditioner pump, but its doubtful one of those would hold the load. And as the question was asked, who would want to? Your engine would run either horribly with the blower shut off or blow up whe you turned it on, depending on which state the engine was in when you tuned it. If you want an on/ off switch type of compressor, go with a turbocharger, as it operates totally off the weight of the exhaust gas, IE the heavier the exhaust gas the faster the turbo spins. When in a cruising state, if your engine is getting full combustion, a turbo will be in essence, freewheeling. Turbos create little or no peresitic load on your engine. The draw back is that it takes them some time to spool up to create added pressure on excelleration, lag, due to the change in exhaust gases passing through the drive turbine. Another drawback is that they heat up your intake air a lot with out an inter cooler. Other wise, their operation is the same as a centrifical supercharger.

This is getting scary. Camaroman and I agree on something/.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Max Keith,
I didn't know we didn't agree on things, LOL.

cuztomcarbuilder,
I have heard quite a bit about the Skyline but, never really looked into what made then tick (not an import kind of guy but, fast is fast). That is a very good idea they came up with. You get the best of both worlds, supercharger for instant power and then the turbo for more efficient power once you're up and running. Seems like a lot to go wrong though, plus with a centrif. they are very close to being as efficient as a turbo. I am sure plenty of R&D went into and they wouldn't have done it if there wasn't something to gain. I will have to look into this a bit. Cool info.

Royce

·
Registered
159 Posts
Re: supercharger

cuztomcarbuilder said:
I know I am going to get bashed on this one....BUT a Nissan Skyline has a clutch operated supercharger and a turbocharger. They use the supercharger to kill the LAG and then when the RPM's and boost come up the computer shuts off the supercharger, switches plenums, and closes the wastegate valve on the Turbo. But what everone says here is true, The Skyline is the only clutch style supercharger that I know of.
Oh and for the record....If you shut off the supercharger without switching the plenums you would choke off the engine. It would be just like butterflies closing on a carb when you let off the throttle.
Superchargers will let air thru when the helical rotors are not turning, iff you wanted you can and could doo the mad max,,
Nissan took notice and used the bypass method.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I figured there was a way of turning it off, but what would be the point of turning it off? Gas milage? Becasue that's what Mad Max is all about, do you think it would accualy save that much gas? I don't think it would be worth it, becasue your engine would run like crap would it not. Since it is built for a blower? Like if you took the blower of entirely, would the engine still run right?

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Yes, a blown engine will run without a blower. While it is true a blown engine will run with the blower belt off, the rotors are still able to freewheel. If you "stopped" the rotors I don't think the engine would run well at all.

As far as gas mileage, it is commonly said that blown engine ofer better gas mileage that N/A engines "when not making boost" I have debated this a few times and I am not sure how true it is. Most of the books and blower companies will tell you that you get increased mileage while not under boost conditions. Tgis is supposed to be due the the rotors turning and making the combustion more efficient.

My personal feeling is this, Why in the world would you build a blown motor if you want fuel economy? Blowers are for making power, if you want economy by a four cylinder fuel injected car.

Royce

·
Registered
159 Posts
Iff you had variable cam timing and bypass plenum tubes so as to run lean fuel air no charge to full fuel air charged, eg iff carbed one carb non charged three plus when charged

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.