Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be worth it to supercharge a 2 bolt main 350 Chevy? The engine I have is from a 72 Canaries according to the casting number. Heads are center bolt so I don't think they are original. Anyway I'm wanting to stick on one of those Wieand 142 blowers in an attempt to make 400hp on about 6psi Max. Should I even bother doing this with a stock bottom end and a 2 bolt block? If I don't supercharge this engine I'll probably just save my money and build a 383 or 400 SBC. But I'd really love to run a budget f.I. build if this block could handle it.

What do you guys think?

And a bonus question, what heads do you guys think are on here if they aren't the stock ones? They're center bolts but not vortec style.

·
Registered
274 Posts
yes you can supercharge a 2 bolt . I would worry about the cast pistons maybe at 6psi . timing ,good gas probably alright theres a lot of guys on here that run them on the street can give you a lot of good advice .

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yes you can. I have put GMC blowers on many stock 2 bolt engines. 283-327-350 and 400 smallblocks.I am driving a 39 chevy coupe with a 6-71 blown 350 at the present time.The engine is basicly stock,rebuilt in my home garage about 10 years ago.

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
valtiel43 said:
And a bonus question, what heads do you guys think are on here if they aren't the stock ones? They're center bolts but not vortec style.
Pull a cover off and look for a casting number. If they are the swirl port heads then you may end up with 6 psi from the blower but nowhere for all of that extra air to go.

·
Administrator
6,247 Posts
BraveLil305 said:
Since it's a 2 bolt you'd be better off putting studs in the bottom end.
Studs are nice, if not a little overkill for a mild street motor. If you go studs, be sure to have it line bored/honed.

·
Registered
274 Posts
studs completly not necessary, people that don't run or have never run blowers think overkill, just not true, my current race engine 2 bolt bigblk ,dimple rods stock chevy steel crank will run low 8's with only 7lbs boost. more or less a mild street engine , do have head studs but the bottom end is fine

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
against all odds said:
To me the real question is can the stock crank, specifically the nose, take the strain from the blower belt?
Yes it can. I had one on a cast crank, two bolt (studded) 350 for several years. The engine made close to 400 hp before the blower went on and I frequently spun well past 6000 rpm. I sold the Blazer in my avatar with the engine still running strong. I have no idea how long it lasted after that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.