Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rescued a 58 Chevy that has been sitting outside for about 2-3 years. I have pulled the motor (327 4 bolt) to overhaul. But to keep myself busy when I run out of cash to spend on parts, I am going to get started on bodywork. I have done a little, but never an undertaking quite like this. My question is, do I start by taking it down to bare metal? And if so, what is the best way to go about it? The body is pretty straight, with a little surface rust and 2 coats of paint. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The way you go about this depends on what you want to do accomplish when finished. The best way would be to take it to bare metal but that is a lot of work and you better be ready to prep the metal right away. there are many products on the market for this. my favorite is epoxy primer, either DuPont's new dtm epoxy or PPG's dp lf series. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
My friends both have rust bucket trucks, they are fixing the body one piece at a time. They use a jelly that you spread on, aircraft stripper. The stuff works wonders and it is cheap. Try it.You can get it all automotive stores.

[ December 18, 2002: Message edited by: Mr.56Chevy ]</p>

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
ya stripper would be great, esp if youre like me that doesnt have good compressor to work on it with DA sander that needs pretty expensive compressor, then u can just use stripper and use epoxy,
hey 56 chevy thats great chevy truck u got is it urs? i like that body style

·
Registered
65 Posts
Oh yeah all mine, first car/truck, only car car/truck. I love the body style, its my favorite truck ever except for the forties big three trucks, esp. the Willys trucks :D

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
58 delray, got to Por-15.com they carry a stripper that is better and you get a bit more miles out of than the "snot" aircraft stripper. They also have many other great products.

HK

·
Registered
65 Posts
My dad and I have used Por-15 on various things, their products work very well. We have used their paint on a lot of my dad's projects(old engines)ieputt-putts you see at the fair.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for all of your input. I will update the board on progress and post pics as I go along. HalloweenKing, Do I have to use a special type of cleaner/solvent to get that stripper off before prepping the surface?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts