Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I would like to thank this Forum for accepting my membership.
My question is regarding the Suspension on the 1937 Ford Wild Rod that was built by Wild Rod out of California many years ago. It is my understanding that this is one of 3 Slant Roof 3-window Coupes that were bult and is a 6-figure build.
I purchased this car from the Chip Chipman Collection out of Oregon about 5 years ago. It is a full blown Show Car and has competed in many of the major Car Shows in the Northwest.
My concern is that due to inactivity on my part, a lot of the Front Suspension Rubber Bushings have dry rotted and are falling apart. Control Arm Bushings, Mounts for the Air Lever Shocks/Springs, things like that. I have tried for years to get information from Wild Rod on what exactly the Front Suspension manufacturer is so I can order new Bushings. No Joy.
Would anyone here have any idea of where I could purchase my needed parts or any other Wild Rod Owners have any suggestions?
Any help or advice will be appreciated. Thanks, Buddy in Texas.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Well once you press (or burn) out the bushings you will be left with a hole you can throw a caliper on.

I would measure the old bushing width before removing them then the new bushings diameter. Then get to searching to find replacements.

Not ideal. But will make sure you end up with the correct size stuff.

·
Administrator
10,239 Posts
1buddyc : Welcome to Hotrodders. I edited the thread title. We do not use HELP ! in thread titles here. The membership here are a bunch of good folks. They offer advice freely ....... Thanks

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Looks like your just dealing with a rubber cylinder with hole for a bolt to pass through the middle. I dont see any spacers pushed into the middle of the bushings.

After measuring you should be able to find replacment bushings through McMaster Carr, Granger, or something along those lines.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those look like shockwave shocks from Ridetech. I would try them first.
Rack bushings look like standard Mustang 2 rack bushings, available anywhere.
No, not Ridetech Shocks, they're Accuair with the E-Level Kit. And I've checked everywhere as well as Accuair and no one offers the Bushings for the Airsprings. The Air Springs are my biggest problem now then the Control Arm bushings. The Rack Bushings haven't failed yet but they aren't too far behind.
I'll check with Speedway and see if they might have what I need for the Control Arms.
Would you guys say that my suspension is Mustang II? And, thanks again for everyone's input.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I would stay with the M2, better ride than a dropped axle, plus you can slam it at the shows.
As far as the air ride shock mount bushings go, just measure the through bolt O.D., the airshock mount I.D., and the length of the bushing needed and start researching, you will find the bushings you need. I would dig through Energy Suspension catalog, I'm willing to bet they are a standard sized bushing.

Keith

·
Registered
111 Posts
No, not Ridetech Shocks, they're Accuair with the E-Level Kit. And I've checked everywhere as well as Accuair and no one offers the Bushings for the Airsprings. The Air Springs are my biggest problem now then the Control Arm bushings. The Rack Bushings haven't failed yet but they aren't too far behind.
I'll check with Speedway and see if they might have what I need for the Control Arms.
Would you guys say that my suspension is Mustang II? And, thanks again for everyone's input.
Unfortunately, Accuair went out of business (just after I bought my kit), then arnott industries picked them up and are rebuilding the brand. If the electronics are still, good keep it. You may end up buying new air struts. I would do some careful measuring and contact Ridetech to see if they can help. I'm sure they can.
You could convert it to coil overs, but I wouldn't. I really like my air suspension.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts