Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
No, sorry, an Olds auto trans will not bolt up to a Chevy bellhousing. Chevy auto transmissions, like the TH350 and TH400 ought to be available in any boneyard for a dime a dozen though. If there is a length difference in the tailshaft, you could likely find a driveshaft that would bolt in. All boneyards have "fit-em-all" guides called Hollander Manuals that will tell you what will fit what.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts

·
Registered
15,298 Posts
I have I olds 350 what can I put in it like can I take a chevy engine and swap can if fit to trans
Need to know the make, model and year. Some chassis are common across GM divisions needing only the mounts for another division’s engine. The existing trans can be mated with an adapter.

If this is a collectible model and year the use of a Chevy engine will degrade its market value.

Bogie

·
Registered
173 Posts
There was no information identifying the transmission, but if it's a TH350, be aware that some had a "multi pattern" bellhousing that fit Chevrolet as well as Buick, Olds, and Pontiac. Check into it before you shop for adapters.

Bob

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,303 Posts
Tell us your vehicle info. G body would likely be easier than a B body, but we need to know more.

GM did plenty of transmissions in three bellhousing patterns; chevy only, BOP (buick olds pontiac cadillac), and dual fit which has the bolt holes for both. After that, you'll have to be careful with selection of flexplates to get the right torque converter pattern, but it's easy.

Once you get into switching between the brands, you might be in for a fair amount of re-configuring things. Some have starters on the left, some on the right. Distributors could be at the front or the rear. Alternators on the left or right. Fuel pumps left or right. If you're down for some fuel line plumbing and some heavy-duty wiring, go for it.

It will be mostly an exercise in futility. The only reason I would (personally) do it is for performance reasons. Both the Olds and Chevy 350 in stock form are pretty boring, but it's a bit cheaper to turn up the power with a chevy.

If you want more power, the easy button is to choose one of the larger Olds motors. They're all the same architecture. There is no real big/small block when it comes to Olds other than deck height. You can drop in a 403 or 455 without the headaches of a swap to a different brand. If you're just looking to replace a dead motor, there are millions of Olds engines out there.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Just as a side note, if you use a transmission adapter plate, then you have to make sure you don't have too much converter pullout ( the torque converter can slide in/out a little on the input shaft) this can be adjusted, if necessary, with spacers.

This is something that could ruin a transmission real quick.

But tell us what car you have first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.