Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am finally pulling the flathead in my 53 ford wagon.I am all set with a mildly built 350 chevy motor. I have the new mill slid in and when it is slid back far anough to clear the radiator, the oil pan hits the steering tie rod.......Any sugestions ??

[ January 21, 2002: Message edited by: Kasper ]</p>

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a 350 in my '53 F100 but mine is sub framed. I did however notice that they had to offset the motor mounts to get it in. They made plates and welded them in the cradle and mounted the motor mounts forward. Even at that, the motor sits real close to the firewall. Every one that I have seen with a SBC seems to fit the same was as mine. HotRod

·
Registered
127 Posts
Not sure if its still done this way but a dropped tie rod gave the needed clearance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am in the process of installing a SB Chevy in my 53 and was instructed to call Butch's Rod Shop in Ohio. (937-746-7459) This is their tech line.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I put a small block in my 53 ford 2 door mainline...... It said inthe directions for the mounts that u either have to bend the control arms down or get new ones that are lower. Also when i put mine in, the distributor hit the firewall and the directions said that clearnace shoudl be fine... whatever. I can;t think of the name of the place that sells the linkage... i think they are in NC and they have a web site....... O ya http://www.fatmanfab.com u gotta look ahrd but they have the lowered control arms.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The FatMan Fabrications dropped steering arms are made to maintain proper geometry when using their dropped spindle system. The problem is the center drag link needs to be droped about an inch to clear the oil pan.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Are you using a conventional fan & shroud? if not you may be able to move it forward enough and use an electric slim profile style fan. Another option is to use a different oil pan & sump which relocates the drop out of the way. The Chev sb was available in so many different vehicles including vans to Monzas so one should fit without the expense of suspension alteration.
Good luck! ~~Metalman~~

1 - 12 of 12 Posts