Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got the old 305 out, I got the trans cleaned up, I got the engine bay cleaned up, and now I'm lost. I'm left with a lot of wires and tubes. I don't know what I don't need on my wiring harness but I know I don't need a lot of it as well as some of the vacuum tubes (lines....). If you cant tell this is my first engine swap. Here's the link to the new engine: https://blueprintengines.com/produc...m-heads-roller-cam-drop-in-ready-w-pulley-kit

the transmission im using is the 2004r from the elco, altough i do plan on rebuilding the rear end.

·
Administrator
8,464 Posts
3 wires for the alternator
1 wire for the temp gauge (green)
1 wire for the oil pressure gauge (may be tan)
1 wire for the distributor ( GM HEI)
1 wire for the A/C compressor

so....7
8 if you count the ground wire

Starter should be pretty obviuos

·
Registered
1979 Chevrolet Malibu 496-TH400-9" (cruiser). 1992 Chevrolet S10 355-700r4-7.625" (daily driver).
241 Posts
You're going to get bombarded with information here. Don't let it overwhelm you. Every person here has been in your shoes. Ask every question. There are no "stupid" ones.

The photos will tell the story. You're going to get plenty of information outside of the engine install too. The increased power of the 383 (377 from the build sheet) would put the factory original transmission/rear end combo on the endangered species list. I'm sure a picture of the transmission and rear end will be helpful, too.

Congratulations on the purchase. You're going to love it!

·
******* Professional
1,428 Posts
You have a carb on the 86 305 so all you need to do for fuel supply is a line from fuel pump to carb and a fuel filter, but engine may already come plumbed from the fuel pump. Don't cut off extra electrical wires/connectors in the wiring harness. Just tape over them with black tape - you wont have that many extra. Just use the ones that someone else already mentioned and route exactly where it went on the 305. For vacuum lines, take close photo of emissions label with hose diagram and let us know if you want to retain the evaporative emissions for the fuel tank. No real downside. Pay close attention to TV cable hookup and adjustment if you want transmission to live any time at all. Install engine in the car and start asking questions.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
X 2 on what 1979Malibu said. My good friend swapped a 383 into his '86 'Camino and loves it! With headers, it runs 12.2s with a 4:10 gearset and leaves me in the dust at the track. It did however produce an 1/8" crack in his bellhousing that needed to be addressed.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Does it have an auto? If it has a (weak) 86 700r4 I would be looking for a new transmission or rebuilding/upgrading it to handle the additional power.
Or just run a manual with a correct tailshaft/gear to match your speedometer.

·
Administrator
8,464 Posts
86 will have a 2004R there OK But it wont live long behind a strong 383
You will need to upgrade a few hard parts inside. 1-2 band, sun shell, direct clutch housing/input shaft comes to mind

Everything with the computer, harness wise, comes from the area of the right front fender. The Computer is behind the glove box. Take a look at it and you will that harness as it comes out.
You will need some hepl I am sure.
Dont cut or gut anything without knowing what it is , what it does and where it goes/comes from

·
Administrator
8,464 Posts
The 83 camaro I did a 383 swap last year has all the computer and stuff. I actually used a few wires that ran from the computer harness to integrate the factory tach in the dash and also the fuel pump wiring for the in tank pump for the Fi tech.
It worked out real well.Also the wiring for the overdrive in the transmission was left. Most everything else I cut and removed.
A few of the wires comingle in behind the dash.It was a lot to sort throught.
In the End it all worked well and ran good, gauges ,fuel fump etc all good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
86 will have a 2004R there OK But it wont live long behind a strong 383
You will need to upgrade a few hard parts inside. 1-2 band, sun shell, direct clutch housing/input shaft comes to mind

Everything with the computer, harness wise, comes from the area of the right front fender. The Computer is behind the glove box. Take a look at it and you will that harness as it comes out.
You will need some hepl I am sure.
Dont cut or gut anything without knowing what it is , what it does and where it goes/comes from
its been suggested that i swap the input shaft in the trans by others. is this something i should seek to sort out before breaking in the engine? either way popping open the trans is most likely above my pay grade, how would you go about this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does it have an auto? If it has a (weak) 86 700r4 I would be looking for a new transmission or rebuilding/upgrading it to handle the additional power.
Or just run a manual with a correct tailshaft/gear to match your speedometer.
its auto, it has the 2004r in it but its <100k miles, that said i am worried about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
You're going to get bombarded with information here. Don't let it overwhelm you. Every person here has been in your shoes. Ask every question. There are no "stupid" ones.

The photos will tell the story. You're going to get plenty of information outside of the engine install too. The increased power of the 383 (377 from the build sheet) would put the factory original transmission/rear end combo on the endangered species list. I'm sure a picture of the transmission and rear end will be helpful, too.

Congratulations on the purchase. You're going to love it!
very needed reasurrance thank you, when you say endangered species are you saying it wont handle the power?
ill put some pictures on here of the engine bay on here when i get back to the shop but for now this is all i have
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you’re doing away with the emission equipment then much of the hose and tube plumbing and some of the electrical goes away. You really need a decent manual with diagrams it’s hard to talk anyone through this if they don‘t have pictures and drawings of these systems in front of them.

Bogie
where do i get my hands on an applicable manual, should i just find the one for the model of the el camino? i dont know if it all changes because im not using the original engine.

·
More for Less Racer
20,929 Posts
Even a fresh stock rebuild on the 200-4R would have problems holding the power of a decent 383, it was never designed with that much torque in mind.....and a 100K miles used 200-4R doesn't stand a chance of surviving long.

Good trans once some of the light duty internal hard parts are replaced with stronger aftermarket pieces. The stock trans will fail long before the stock rear will unless you are putting drag slicks on it starting on Day 1 of the 383.

·
******* Professional
1,428 Posts
where do i get my hands on an applicable manual, should i just find the one for the model of the el camino? i dont know if it all changes because im not using the original engine.
Get an AlldataDIY on-line subscription to the factory manual. El Camino is under Chevrolet Truck.

Yes, you will like double the power of your 305. Rear will live on street if you don't spin one wheel (destroys spider gears). Switch the factory 7.5 rear to 3.73 gears with an Auburn posi unit and you should be golden for normal street tires which you should be able to roast at will in a couple of gears. Trans is weak and won't last long shifting under full power. You can buy a prepped 2004R or have yours done. As I understand, the 2004r is a good trans when built a bit but you will want to ensure the converter has a mechanism working to lock it up when in OD-4th so it doesn't generate heat and cook itself going down the highway. Don't forget to use full length 1.75" tube headers and at least 2.5" exhaust system.

Do it Yourself Automotive Repair Information | ALLDATA DIY

1 - 20 of 26 Posts