Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be swapping my 283-327 wanna be to a True 327. I found the replacement engine on a junk yard but I think it is to high in price. The casting number reads GM 3914638. I have not asked for the cylinder head numbers, but I am more than sure they are in good condition. Is this long block worth $500.00 dollars. Suggestions are nice.

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
That price depends on you really needing that engine...I paid $100 for my short block but it needed a complete rebuild...pistons were damages and the cam was wiped. Your getting a complete engine..heads and intake so I guess it all depends on how much more your willing to spend on a rebuild.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Swap

Doc here:pimp:

Is this a "Runner"? $500 seems a bit steep for that long block. Around here, I get "Runner's" Pulled, For around $350.00

If your buying a bone yard engine, regardless of it's condition, always approach it as if you will be doing a total rebuild on the engine.. Rods, Rings, Valve/heads, Gasket kit cost, Shop time, Cam and Crank work/replacement costs. And What YOU are willing to spend to achieve what you want.

I would suggest you do the rebuild ANYWAY... you have no idea how many miles are on that mill, (BTW , numbers say 68, 327, 2 bolt main, Truck) or what kind of life it lead before it went to the happy hunting ground...

It would be a bad thing to swap it and have it burn out rings/valves 3 months down the road .. or worse spin a bearing or main..This way, you Know exactly what you have, know it will give you years of dependable use, and no surprises later on..

So add Those costs to the price of the engine, (in my area, it's about $600 for shop/parts + my labor) and $500 for the engine, or $1100.00, What can you buy a crate Engine for? What else would be needed There, specific to the 327? Then decide which way you want to go.

Doc :pimp:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts