Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a GM OEM serpentine system on my 454. The previous ownersaid the set-up was from a '84 dually. It has A/C, that is not hooked up nor will it ever be hooked up. I'm just using it as an idler pulley. I want to get rid of it but I can not find a OEM serpentine system without A/C, and I do not want to spend the money on a aftermarket set-up. So with all this being said....

I want to switch to a V belt set up. My question is will I be able to use my current water pump, alternator, and power steering pump if I do? Or will any of these things rotate in the wrong way with a V belt.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
The bypass pulley will work fine. I`ve switched many a small block from V belt to serpentine, your the first case I ever seen wanting to do the opposite. glad you found something to compromise as it wouldn`t have taken long before you would have likely wished you hadn`t switched.

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
hmm interesting i never knew they went to serpentine so early on these.

earliest i ever knew they gm went to serpentine on the v-8 was in '85 with the 305 etc in the cars and trucks but it was only half serpentine

because i know the 84 were still v belt at least on the sb engines,

interesting..

got a pic?

you should be able to take everything from a v belt 454 and put it on yours.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.