Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

Tomorrow I am picking up a 1985 Mustang that has a 5.0 with a 5 speed in it. It is an EFI motor. The vehicle also comes with a Victor Jr. intake and a 650 Holley. Having never really messed with a EFI system before, how difficult would it be to lose the EFI and go to the Victor / Holley set up? What are the major steps involved and is this a huge undertaking? Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Brent

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
If the engine is stock I wouldn`t swap it. The 302 has a short 3 inch stroke, so it`s not exactly a torque monster, installing a open plane intake which the RPM band doesn`t start until 3000 RPM will only make it worse. I realize I didn`t answer your question, I`m only letting you know in advance what the down fall will be.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Double Vision for the response. Yeah I thought about the RPM band of the Victor Jr. (3500-8000), but I really want to get rid of the EFI if possible. It has 4.10 gears in it and I believe it has a pretty healthy cam in it from what the owner is telling me.

I just do not know how much is involved in removing all of the electronic crap off of the top end of the motor and getting it back to a normally aspirated small block. Truth be told, I HATE the fact that the fuel pump is in the damn gas tank :pain: . From what I have gathered, an inline fuel pump switchover (i.e. removing the fuel pump from the tank and putting in an in line eletric one out side of the tank is pretty costly). I know the PSI for the EFI is much higher than for a carb'd motor. Anyone have any suggestions on switching out the fuel pumps as described and I just might leave the EFI on it if I can make that switch happen without breaking the bank.

I've done a million intake swaps in my life (mostly on SBC's), but never tackled a EFI to carb switchover. Can anyone fill me in on how much of an undertaking this is? Easier and more cost effective to switch out fuel pumps and still make it workable (considering I already have the intake and carb)?

Thanks.

·
all jacked up on mountain dew
66 Posts
did that efi come stock in that car? my 85 gt came with a 4bbl carb but it did have the roller cam....i know 85 was the first year for the roller cam in the gt's but i didnt know they had efi

·
all jacked up on mountain dew
66 Posts
there is no reason you couldnt change the efi out for a carb if thats what you want...either put a regulator on the fuel pump thats in the car or just put another pump on and flow though that one just be sure to kill the power on the exiting pump if you do that

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.