Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 70 vintage TH350 bolted to a Pontiac 455 with a Rochester 4bbl. Trying to hook up the transmission kickdown cable and am up against a brick wall. Anyone ever been down this road?

·
All hail Gil Younger!
18 Posts
You never said what exactly the problem was...so I'll take a guess. No provision to hook the kickdown to the carb?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My apologies Ed. Have been hitting my head against a wall so long some of the brains have fallen out.:drunk: Yeah, in a nutshell that's my problem. I bought a new cable that is supposed to fit a GM TH350 but it just barely makes it to the intake manifold. The throtle cable bracket that is supposed to work for securing the end of the kickdown cable is out of reach for the cable. Beginning to think i am going to have to fabricate a custom bracket.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Kickdown cable.

Here is another option. Since the kickdown cable on a t350 is not a throttle valve pressure control needed for overall trans function. It is actually only a kickdown /passing device, I eliminate it. The turbo 350's I build for myself have a street/strip valve body kit, therefore I remove the cable, tap and thread the hole and use a screw in plug. It's has worked fine for years. If I need a kickdown, I just manually downshift. Simple solution.

·
All hail Gil Younger!
18 Posts
You could do what Studebaker said but you could also just get a longer cable. There in different lengths. You can also purchase an adjustable cable. Those have an inner and outer sleeve that's adjustable and a lock nut that you tighten down once the correct length is attained. Those are about twice the thickness of a normal cable but they do work fine...you trim the steel cable once the length is set.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.