Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, wrapping up this slow build. 1972 Nova 383 stroker with cam and AFR 195 heads. 3.73 gears and 28 inch tires. Not my daily driver, but I want to be able to drive it daily if I feel like it. Bracket racing for fun on the weekend about once a month. Street tires with a set of DR’s for the weekend.

having the transmission built. My plan was always to go with a TCI reverse manual with engine braking in every gear. I already have the Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter.

My worry is the full line pressure. Would that be an issue in the long run? Should run a manual/auto with a B and M shift improver instead?

The reason I want the MV is because I don’t like the delay when I shift in the auto. I want it to happen instantly and hard. I don’t like the shift points anyway.

Lastly, I like the simplicity of not having to deal with the throttle cable or vacuum tube.

Any tips or ideas from anyone of you
more experienced folks?

·
True Hotrodder
1,668 Posts
As long as you understand the differences between a manual VB and a "shift improver kit" I don't see any problems with it. I drove a manual VB TH350 on the street in a small block Monza, it was nice having the full control and great for a cruise but day after day in traffic, not so much. Thankfully that situation didn't come up too often.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I know the difference. Just worried constant high line pressure will cause damage.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for the response. I know the difference. Just worried constant high line pressure will cause damage.
You will be fine with th rmvb. A lot of guys are using these on street cars without issues. In traffic it will be like having a stick, but the engine braking should help.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
I have also daily driven a manual valve body. You either get use to it or you hate it. But it does get old fast.

Something that you need with a manual valve body is a gate shifter. Because it is easier to slap it into reverse then you think.

Now I have and love the gates shifter from winters performance.
Cable shifter, easy install, and you can switch out or modify the gates to meet your needs. No buttons or clickers to mess with just slap it through the gates.

There is a video at the bottom of this that goes into detail about the options. I have bought 2 from these guys.

·
More for Less Racer
20,117 Posts
Turbo-Action also sells the same basic shifter, with a couple mods, and calls it the ":Cheetah SCS".
Base is the same, but the stick has a nice integrated T-Handle with a thumb side button for transbrake or line lock or nitrous or scramble.
shifter1 (turboaction.com)
Great shifter, never a miss.

Kilduff Machine has some pretty nice stuff too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts