Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys as per newbie post I'm looking for a bit of help!
I've just recently rebuilt a TH350, all new clutches, steels, sealing rings, bushes, seals the works basically.
Now first and second are great, don't seem to be hitting 3rd yet but i think this could be vacuum modulator related possibly as thats not been adjusted as yet, perhaps you may offer some suggestions to try, maybe it might be the kickdown cable or such like also?

But the main problem (lol i had to tow the car out of the garage to test forward gears!) when reverse is engaged I get tiny tiny amounts of it if I rev high but it doesn't bite down as it ought to, you know like when you put it in drive.

As per rebuild all parts were air tested before the clutch assemblies went in, alot of people have said from reading on the net check balls maybe?

Your advice is really appreciated :)

All the best from over the big pond

Stu

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,981 Posts
If the modulator is working for the 1-2 shift, doesn't it stand to reason that it would work for the 2-3 shift?

The only thing I find in my "guide" is a stuck 2-3 shift valve or incorrectly installed or damaged spacer plate gaskets.

These two things appear on both the syptoms.

Edit: Sealing rings on pump stator support damaged or missing.... direct clutch piston seals and stuck or missing checkball.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cant be certain that the 2nd to 3rd shift is working as yet as i only had chance for a brief drive, on that drive I took it up and down the road and 2nd gear was as far as it went at the high rev range.
I might be something i need to adjust perhaps as this was its first test drive after re-assembly.
Its reverse really that's my bug bear as i need that to get out of the garage the car is parked in, and its no fun hooking up a tow to the car just to get it out lol.

Pretty sure the check ball in the direct clutch was cleaned up and lubed well to be sure it was free moving and shook to hear it pinking about in its hole.

Thanks for your input though pugsy its appreciated.
might be worth me double checking the spacer plate and gaskets as well as the check balls, does anyone have a diagram for locations of each of the balls.

Stu

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
if you have a direct clutch problem , reverse will be a problem since they work together to make reverse happen.

Only 1 check needs to be in the case for trans operation.... the check ball near the modulator valve must be there... low preesure is the result if that check ball is left out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im pretty peeved at it all lol.
could anyone help with the process of how 3rd gear works and also how the reverse gear works, im learning, all be it the hard way but any new info i can pick up from more experienced builders would be very beneficial.

Thanks

Stu

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again ssedan, I'm wondering if it may be clutch pack clearance issue, would this cause insufficient holding of the gears if the clutch pack is to far away from the pressure plate clearance wise?
Maybe also end play issues with the oil pump could be a factor, i know it has 2 shims behind the torrington bearing at the moment.

Stu

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,981 Posts
Why don't you start by checking out the spacer plate gaskets for any damge.
This can be done without pulling the trans.
While you have the valve body out, check the 2-3 shift valve.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.