Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have a 79 chevy with a th350 trans, recently i started hearing a noise coming from the front of the trans and found metallics in the fluid. when cold it dont want to go into any gear, once in gear it doesnt make any noise untill it has warmed up. does not make any noise in park, kinda sounds like something rolling around in the tc. ive never owned an auto untill this truck, always been a munci guy for this reason exactly. any ideas as to if im on the right track or not? working on it aint an issue i just dont want to fix the wrong thing. im thinking the tc and a tranny flush with new filter?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive done quite a bit of research through various forums and thats where it led me. Noww this is my first automatic trans. After talking to a few others ive come to learn that the front pumps are known for going out leading to a trashed tranny. The tranny is the only part on this truck i know nothing about. And just so happen to live somewhere that help is not easly. Accessible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im not sure. I picked it up off a guy that had to sell it. The fluid wwas clean up untill a ccouple days ago. And it has made a whining noise ever since i picked it up. Im sure i could figure out how to rebild the thing if need be. I as just looking for some more experianced knowledge to be thrown my way before i spent the money. If rebuilding is what i have to do,, any recommendations as to what brand of kit i should look into? Its only a mild build on the engine (bored. 40 over mild lift cam decked heads, headers, holly intake and carb and msd ignition.) Would a 2500good rpm stall be to much for a truck that may get some miles on it?

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Sounds like it's going to need a rebuild.
TH350 is one of the easiest Trans to build & doesn't take a lot of special tools.
A Low/Reverse tool is recommended.

Transmission Parts 350, 350C GM Rear Wheel Drive
350 transmission parts TH350
https://www.wittrans.com/Schematic.aspx?Transmission=250/250C/350/350C

Stall will depend on Cam, Rear Gear etc.., 2500rpm stall is a mild performance upgrade. Higher stall increases heat, an Auxillary cooler is recommended.

Rebuild Tech >> http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/th350-rebuild-tech-145361.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.