Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently had to replace the TH350 in my 1981 Silverado because the transmission wasn't engaging. The transmission in it now has new fluid and filter and indicates that the fluid is full. This transmission isn't engaging either. If I feather the accelerator it will begin to creep in gear. I have tried everything and cannot get this truck on the road!! Please help.

Hawk

·
Administrator
9,929 Posts
Was the replacement T-350 a fresh rebuild?

Was the converter replaced?

Was the converter fully engaged into the trans before bolted to the engine?

How many quarts of ATF was installed?

Linkage for shifter, verified good operation?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The swap was a used trans out of another truck I had. The transmission was working fine before the swap. This is the second transmission in this truck and they both did the same thing. I had a transmission leak that I couldn't find so I have put in around 3.5 gallons of fluid in before it showed full and I had fixed the leak.

The torque converter stayed with the transmissions. The newer transmission had the torque converter that was with it in the other vehicle. I swapped both.

I am as positive as I can be that the converter was fully engaged before installation. There was no room in between the torque converter and the plate on the transmission.

I do not know anything about linkages. I know that the engine sounds like it is under load when I do get it to creep a little but it just revs when I can't get it to engage. I have tried to do a little research on linkages but it all seems a bit confusing when I read it. I guess I need to try and find videos to verify that my linkages are good enough.

Thanks for your response and any additional help will be greatly appreciated.

-Always 10-8

·
Burnt out transmission tech.
984 Posts
Remove a cooler line and fire it up. If fluid spews out like a gusher the pump is good. No flow means the pump has been toasted.

No room between the convertor and flex plate is suspicious.

·
Administrator
6,247 Posts
That sounds like a lot of fluid added if the converter was already full and the trans was in service before swapping.

You're checking the level with the trans warm in park?

You should have had at least 1/4 inch back and forth movement between the converter and flex plate. It sounds like the converter wasn't all the way into the pump. JMO

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There was a pretty good sized leak that cost me a lot of fluid. I replaced all the fluid and the filter with the swap. It is acting like it doesn't have enough fluid but it is full.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Id be checking that converter for proper seating before I ran it anymore... I believe that is a good way to toast a pump and a converter...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts