Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching on here but wanted to get direct answer.

Pulled apart trans yesterday, input shaft endplay was .068" with transmission sitting vertical on workbench. Outout shaft through hole. After I got inside I found that there was no shim under the torrington bearing for the pump. This would explain all the slop right? The book I have claims that shims are .017" nylon and two can be stacked to tighten up tolerance. Local GM dealer was of no help. Now if I order parts do I just need a shim kit or will I have to use a thrust washer and eliminate torrington bearing?

Also where can I order parts from ebay, Makco trans parts (never heard of this one until today). Any and all help would be appreciated. This is my first tranny rebuild.

·
Registered
685 Posts
TH350 shim question

The shims are not nylon,they are steel. There are at least 3 ways to remove this clearance.

You can get shims at most any cooperative trans shop.

You can add a shim,or shims under the pump bearing,but too much is not good,because your pulling the drums away from the pump [sealing ring considerations].

You can add a shim under the bearing in the back of trans.[output ring gear hub to case.

Or to keep the drums seated perfectly on the pump,you can add a shim between the front planetary and the front ring gear. A 4 prong washer from a th400 will sit right under the existing 4 prong washer that sits on top of the front planetary.

This washer is .062 and used with the 4 prong TH350 washer should give you about .005-.006 clearance. which is perfect!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks guys. I'll call our Local guy tomarrow. The last couple of times I've delt with him he just seems like he's too busy to really give a ***** but I don't really want to wait for a week and a half if I order parts. Thanks again I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Administrator
10,126 Posts
For many years I've been installing a .030 shim under the rear torrington bearing on the back ring gear as briscoE mentions.

It just seem all of the t-350 tannys can use a little tightening up.

·
Administrator
10,126 Posts
briscoe said:
Mr Crosley,I think a small e would have been just fine,but thanks for the consideration. :D Dana

:D

either way my browser spell checker ( Mozilla 2.0) does not like the spelling of briscoe ......... ;)

IF you use the metal thrust washers on the low/reverse roller clutch race... you can stack two washers there.

Check the output shaft splines to rear ring gear ( on the shaft) ... sometimes the shafts pounds it's way into the ring gear base..... loosens up clearances a bit.

:eek:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info, I now have a new concern. My pump cover has a notch for a thrust washer but had a torrington bearing installed when I pulled it apart. Should it have the washer or can the roller be shimmed it to bring it into spec?

Thanks, please be patient.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.