Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I bought an 1980 el camino with a 350 and 350 tranny not running. When i got it it had a flat tire, pumped the tire up and the car started rolling!!! First thing i did was check the linkage on the tranny and of course it was disconnected, bolt was missing so i bought a new bolt and put it back on, no more rolling... Fast forward 2 months when i get the motor running good and im ready to go for first test drive and notice when i put it in drive it starts off in second so obviously i try to down shift from D to 2 to 1 and when i get to 1 it slams on the brakes. Whole car stops and wont even roll like its in park!!! If i put it back in drive it takes off in 2nd again and off i go but it wont take off in first and when you manually put it in 1st it's like its in park. ANY help would be appreciated. Oh btw, first thing i thought obviously was maybe i hooked the linkage up wrong, but then i thought to myself if that was the case then why is everything else in working order? Park is park, reverse is reverse, and drive is drive. So If anyone has a clue please help!!!! Thanks

·
Global Moderator
9,752 Posts
Welcome to Hotrodders.

I edited the thread title

We dont use PLEASE HELP !!!! HELP !!!! in thread titles here.

The members here are very helpful and knowledgable. there is no need to beg for assistance

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. Thanks, Im just in dire need of an answer. I'm truly stumped. @killeratrod, No it dosnt shift manually. Well it will shift manually from 2nd to drive but if you go down to 1st it just acts like it slams into park anliterally wont go anywhere like you have the brake applied

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
I would be suspicious of the linkage, especially where it was disconnected. When you put it in park does it not roll?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts