Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have plymouth arrow truck with chevy 350 motor, stall b&m 3500 10", rear gearing 373, trans is a TCI 311005, trans fluid leaks from the over tube on top the trans. Trans new install about 3 weeks ago, Truck was built 2009, I have trans cooler mounted under truck bed it's 6.5 wide x about 24" long lines are 3/8" rubber hoses all this old 2009 "O" fan blow up through the cooler, from the trans to the cooler it's about 6.5 feet in between them. I have stock size trans pan. I install a new lokar dip tube 12" this would not go all the way in sticks out about 4" of the dip tube, but i thought it was tapping the oil pan at the bottom so I able to get 10qts of trans fluid in. After motor warm up. Drive the truck around smoke from under this happen a few times, I kinda use a wiring to gauge oil in it seem to take 8qts, but stall not sure trans fluid stills leaks from the over tube. So I add temp gauge install it near the trans cooler, temp gauge reading driving when leak starts 230 stop driving let cool down made it back home. Trans oil when cut the line near the trans cooler to install the gauge fluid did come out the line.

"O" trans shift great through all gears trans oil looks red,
Man this driving me nuts, How much trans fluid you thank this will take, do you think the trans cooler is to small, or line size 3/8 to small, I'm open to all thoughts. not matter what you guy's think. Man back hurting from getting under truck so many times. Pics be low, I hope you can make it out. be up through the night with this.

Attachments

·
Registered
886 Posts
Sounds like trans fluid level is excessively high. Proper fluid level is at pan gasket warmed up, on level ground, with engine running in park. Cut and mark dipstick as needed.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Get fluid level right first. Then monitor fluid temperature. Cut dip stick until it just touches the bottom of the pad. Then measure depth of pan and mark dip stick up from the end that same measurement. That will be the proper fluid level at the pan gasket. Check and adjust fluid level.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
OK , you filled the converter before you installed the trans , right ? The dipstick should have come with instructions ?? I honestly can't see that trans cooler as being very effective mounted as it is . If there's oil blowing out the top , its overfull or damaged . trans temp ideally is " about" = to engine temp @ 180° -220°

·
True Hotrodder
1,574 Posts
I have that same dipstick in one car. Once you figure out how much to cut it and just in case you didn't know, you remove the handle to cut the cable. I would recommend cutting with a cutoff tool and wrapping the the cut area with tape to keep the strands of the cable together so you can get them back in the handle.

I would drop the trans fluid into a clean container, then add 4-5 quarts back to the trans. It will warm up okay and then add a quart, run it through the gear selection, then check it, add another quart and so on. You will need to creep up on the proper amount to get it right. Do not overfill it. Part of the hot condition is due to the overfill situation - the fluid is getting churned which adds air to it and that doesn't do a very good job of keeping the trans cool. I am assuming that you cleaned out the cooler and lines prior to connecting the new trans to them?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK , you filled the converter before you installed the trans , right ? The dipstick should have come with instructions ?? I honestly can't see that trans cooler as being very effective mounted as it is . If there's oil blowing out the top , its overfull or damaged . trans temp ideally is " about" = to engine temp @ 180° -220°
yes full the converter 1st

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,656 Posts
If it's a "real" Lokar, you can get installation instructions from their site.

Russ

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have that same dipstick in one car. Once you figure out how much to cut it and just in case you didn't know, you remove the handle to cut the cable. I would recommend cutting with a cutoff tool and wrapping the the cut area with tape to keep the strands of the cable together so you can get them back in the handle.

I would drop the trans fluid into a clean container, then add 4-5 quarts back to the trans. It will warm up okay and then add a quart, run it through the gear selection, then check it, add another quart and so on. You will need to creep up on the proper amount to get it right. Do not overfill it. Part of the hot condition is due to the overfill situation - the fluid is getting churned which adds air to it and that doesn't do a very good job of keeping the trans cool. I am assuming that you cleaned out the cooler and lines prior to connecting the new trans to them?
The new dip tube is is getting stuck not going in sticks out about 4" the new 1 is 24" long, I was able to get wire through it will touch the bottom of the pan about 24" long, You no i never check the trans cooler flush it through. Because trans oil look red when i drain it few times before.. But I will try re-draining it to get the proper level and check the trans cooler- will try to gauge it use a wire. I will work on this Thursday or Friday.

Attachments

·
True Hotrodder
1,574 Posts
On mine, the engine is set back a bit so I ended up putting the stick behind the driver side head and running it down and over the transmission. Trying to put it in the normal location on passenger side I had to many curves in it.

Reactions: jagco

·
True Hotrodder
1,574 Posts
This is on the Monza bracket car.

Here's a couple of photos for the OP:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
"O" the company Lokar trans dip stick they guy Eric that works there, Stand behind what the sale he jump on my call and email right away. They are working with me.
Here's few, pics - I did pull the trans cooler and check it, it was clear not block, This was install in 2009 very small, I was thinking about getting another cooler, What would you guy's think would be best for this truck that works. I was thanks about this 1 - Derale Electra-Cool Remote Fluid Coolers 15800, I forget to roll the drain pan back it looks to be about another 2qts oil on the floor this morning. the wire is the dip tube for now got just about right to the top of oil pan

Attachments

·
True Hotrodder
1,574 Posts
The cooler you mentioned is real close in size to the one I have on the dragster. My mount for the fan on it is a homemade deal however. It works well for keeping the temp in check even on back to back runs. I'm running a 'Glide w/transbrake and a 6200 convertor.

·
Registered
14,029 Posts
Another possibility is the converter charge valve leaks which will overfill the pan temporarily till the converter is recharged after start up. Often this problem is seen by leakage where the fill tube enters the case, but not always. If you are observing this after startup but it gradually goes away it is likely the change valve leaks the converter’s oil into the case.

Bogie

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey guy's thanks thanks to all info, have the cooler install under the truck bed, about a 4.5" gap between the fan and bed, Motor temp runs 165 to 180, oil temp 160 oil filter install behind the front motor fans, Trans temp 160 to 180 went out for a 30min ride it stayed 172 at 50 miles in hour. only went up 185 when hit it a little to 80 miles in hour kinda back off though little chicken would hate to see 230 temp again back 50 back to 172. So you think this is ok, Or should bought a bigger trans cooler. No leaks so far. Man if had trans temp was install before may could have save my old trans to. My dip stick would stick out about 5" would not go all the way in man if push real hard it will go in but pulling it out, it would pull the rubber seal almost out. So i had to come up with something with help here.....

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Another possibility is the converter charge valve leaks which will overfill the pan temporarily till the converter is recharged after start up. Often this problem is seen by leakage where the fill tube enters the case, but not always. If you are observing this after startup but it gradually goes away it is likely the change valve leaks the converter’s oil into the case.

Bogie
wow good info thanks

·
True Hotrodder
1,574 Posts
what size lines your running, looks 8an, any way you can post a pic of your trans cooler.
I'm in the process of moving the cooler to a new bracket in front of the radiator. I'll determine later if I need a fan on this cooler or not. These are -6AN size and I run the same size on the dragster although they are braided steel. The dragster is on the trans-brake with each run whereas this car it's an occasional hit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts