Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I'm changing my Transmission fluid for the first time (that I'm doing it ). What "Type" of Trans Fluid do I need. This is a street/strip 1981 Firebird with a 455 Olds in it. I do "torcher" it monthly at the track. I know it seems like a lame question, but, if you don't know/then you don't know. I appreciate your help - THANKS

· Registered
16,303 Posts
GM Dexron is used for soft mushy shifts, I put Ford type F in my GM builds from ATI, comes in 0W-8, 20 or 30 weight. It’s expensive!

0W-8 is pretty good for street shifts, it you want more bang on the shifts either 20 or 30 is brutally positive.

Bogie

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bogie...did you perform any modifications to your transmission(s) or are you only using the ATI fluids?
Yes, it has a B&M full Shift Kit and some "Hardened" parts inside that I can't remember what they are. The 455 Olds is using a B&M Holeshot 2400 converter, 3.73:1 posi. Runs consistent 7.6 sec in the 1/8 mile and has run 11.3's / 115 mph when we had a 1/4 mile track (Fontana).

· Registered
16,303 Posts
Bogie...did you perform any modifications to your transmission(s) or are you only using the ATI fluids?
Yes it runs Raybestos Z pack clutches, Kevlar 2/4 band, 5 pinion planetary, forged sun shell, double cage over run clutch, Corvette servo, most of the thrust washers and bushings changed to brass with a 13 vane pump all in a K case with 2500-2900 stall converter with lock up.

So the insides are not stock. It’s been run with with Dexron but I like the firmer shifts with ATI F oil in it.
It has an on and off oil leak I’m trying to chase down.

Bogie

· Burnt out transmission tech.
1,070 Posts
Yes it runs Raybestos Z pack clutches, Kevlar 2/4 band, 5 pinion planetary, forged sun shell, double cage over run clutch, Corvette servo, most of the thrust washers and bushings changed to brass with a 13 vane pump all in a K case with 2500-2900 stall converter with lock up.

So the insides are not stock. It’s been run with with Dexron but I like the firmer shifts with ATI F oil in it.
It has an on and off oil leak I’m trying to chase down.

Bogie
What transmission is it? Your heading says T350 but now you say 2/4 band?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts