Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
On the Border
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed yesterday when I was checking my carb that my kick down cable from my trans is pretty much stuck, I can move it a little, but is not returning to it's position , it's hard to move, looks like I have to remove the pan to see what's going on. Any thoughts before I do this? Any suggestions are welcomed :welcome:, thanks

·
On the Border
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many times they get burnt by Headers, pinched, frayed inside etc.. May just need a new Cable.
That is the thing, the cable its new, a mechanic installed this cable for me a year ago and its not touching anything that could damage it, looks like I have to drop the pan to see whats going on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just rebuilt a 350 and got a valvebody from a friend. The little lever bolted to the valvebody that the detent cable hooks to was bent and broke.So that is possible. what i would try first is to unhook your cable at the carb then unhook from trans. There will be a stiff piece of wire running into the trans that will detach from the cable once you pull the insulation of the cable up far enough. be ready with some needlenose vise grips to hold the wire coming out of the trans. once secure you can pull on the stiff wire to see if it is infact operating properly inside the trans. You should feel slight pressure followed by more pressure for the last 1/2 inch or so. If you feel that your cable should be replaced. If you dont feel it or it does not return once you pull it you should pull the pan an valve body to inspect the valve and springs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.