Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear-end in my 3/4 ton Chev truck recently went out; the pinion gear shaft bearing cage broke apart, thereby letting the sleeve bearings "jam up" the rear-end, and then it would release, VIOLENTLY. After the rear-end was repaired, the shop said the trans was making "some noise". Actually, it's lots of noise in first and reverse; once it up-shifts, it's quiet. I've quit driving the truck until I get the trans swapped out. However, when I swapped in the TH-400 several years ago, from a TH-350, 9 inch extension housing trans, I used a longer slip yoke to make up for the discrepancy in the driveshaft length; I probably should have shortened the slip yoke up by 1/2 to 1 inches. I think the broken rear end beat the trans up, literally jamming the slip yoke into the trans, and that's what is now causing the trans noise. Would a broken silencer ring cause that much noise, or is the rear planetary shot? What's the possibility of the case being damaged? Thanks for any help!

·
Administrator
10,122 Posts
I have not re-installed a silencer plastic ring in a T-400 for at least 25 years. I doubt that is the cause of the noise even if the plastic bits were going thru the gear teeth. I suggest an open and look see for a problem. Often drive line problems or rearend failures will damage the rear case bushing of the T-400 that supports the output shaft.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.